Renegade Projects Network Forums

Full Version: News on progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Programming? You said the forbidden word Tom. It's definately not programming. It's a simple data file that is read by the game's program code. The exe simply loads in the inis and other things (graphics, sounds etc.). For example, the Rock patch edits the game's program code (not actually legal...), but what modders do is just edit data files. Far from actual programming. Programming is considerably more complex, and interesting to boot. Anyway, now that that's clear...

Wrath, I'm pleased to say that I fixed the IE :biggrin: so I shan't be needing you to send the file to me.

The cause? I had set E1, E2 and INIT (the basic infantry) to AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no. Seems that the game didn't like that (the ONLY units with it set to yes were the 3 basic tanks). This means that either you NEED those infantry to start, or you NEED at least one kind of infantry to start, or you need at least two of ANYTHING to start. This is probably a new bug. I better report it...

EDIT: It's not a new bug. Someone has already discovered it. Well, I have just actively paraphrased it Tongue
Whiteboy Wrote:Programming? You said the forbidden word Tom. It's definately not programming. It's a simple data file that is read by the game's program code. The exe simply loads in the inis and other things (graphics, sounds etc.). For example, the Rock patch edits the game's program code (not actually legal...), but what modders do is just edit data files. Far from actual programming. Programming is considerably more complex, and interesting to boot. Anyway, now that that's clear...
Sorry :blush:, though I have been told editing game files counts as a type of programming.
Whiteboy Wrote:The cause? I had set E1, E2 and INIT (the basic infantry) to AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no. Seems that the game didn't like that (the ONLY units with it set to yes were the 3 basic tanks). This means that either you NEED those infantry to start, or you NEED at least one kind of infantry to start, or you need at least two of ANYTHING to start.
Damn. The YR game engine is not flexible at all, is it...

Well, you can always make the sides start out with Attack Dogs (anti-infantry/scouting purposes). Yuri can use the Soviet Huskies. Wink
Nah, I went with the regular infantry (GI, Conscript and Initiate) since they will be available in paradrops in Survival anyway.

I have tweaked Survival mode a bit, it now just needs the unit stats changed (basic stats like Cost= and Strength=), and paradrops. However, one problem remains. The AI never deploys its MCV. I'll seek out more info to try to solve this problem - if we can't fix it, the game mode might as well be renamed to "Survival (Online only)" mode Blah
If you want to do that, then you can list it under "human only" in mpmodes.ini (forgot the exact code).

I think you are supposed to add an AI trigger or something? Since the MCV was change into deploying into a War Factory? Can you add AI triggers in modes? :rock:
You cannot add triggers in modes. I will look into the "human only thing if I cannot find a way for the AI to deploy the MCVs in this mode...

In the meantime, my repetitive strain injury has worsened and if I keep on using my PC so much I'll have to have surgery. I am now using MSN less often. Wrath, I may just go ahead and finish the mode myself. I'll still be around on forums, and you can contact me by PM if the need be...

For now, I will see how my RSI is tomorrow and I'll attempt to do the mode and plan the AI (Eagle) is doing the actual AI coding). Hopefully this RSI won't hinder mod progress. The last Beta is still on track for release after that mode is done Wink
My advice on dealing with RSIs is to stretch out your hands for 10 minutes before a prolonged session on the comp.
Whiteboy Wrote:In the meantime, my repetitive strain injury has worsened and if I keep on using my PC so much I'll have to have surgery. I am now using MSN less often. Wrath, I may just go ahead and finish the mode myself. I'll still be around on forums, and you can contact me by PM if the need be...
Roger that, Captain!
...you sound a bit too happy there dude Tongue

Thanks TAG. Nice to see you here btw. I hope you took off your shoes before coming in Tongue RSI is common these days. I have had loads of advice already, but I think it's going to stay now, unless I get a Carpel Tunnel Release operaton. I hope it will be free... http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp04004.htm
I have found the best "cure" for RSI is to stop doing what your doing. Repetive is the cause of the injury itself!!!!!!!
...stop modding and chatting away the nights on MSN? It's gonna be hard... I can live without MSN but I have to get this mod released, once Survival mode is done, it all depends on Eagle to do the AI once I give him the plans...
Whiteboy Wrote:...stop modding and chatting away the nights on MSN? It's gonna be hard... I can live without MSN but I have to get this mod released, once Survival mode is done, it all depends on Eagle to do the AI once I give him the plans...
So thats why you wern't online this weekend. Well, i wanted to tell you I can't do the AI - sorry. There's no real excuse that i can expend to the longevity of my fingers, im just lazy as shit...
This is sudden. Well, there you have it folks. WR's release is officially delayed due to the AI coder feeling lazy.

Is there anyone out there who can do the AI? It's not asking much, it's just translating my own simple plans into code. This is no comprehensive AI. The only purpose is to get the AI using the new units. WR is already hard enough thanks to rules edits, I need not have an AI like Deezire's "Deevious" AI.

Anyone? Please... I'm getting desperate now Unhappy
My advice is fire up DCoder's AI editor. It takes about 2 hours to get used to it, but after some adjustment anyone could make an AI. I'd volunteer to help but Retaliation has my hands tied Unhappy

I'd just release without the AI and promise it in a later relase. You'll feel better having "released", but still feel compelled to work on it more.
Well, I have two reasons for not doing the AI myself:

1: RSI has my hands tied, literally. Very literally.
2: People want the mod soon. I have been saying for years that "it's almost done". A helping hand would go a long way.

Also, it's better to do the AI in the ini, not with the editor... so once said DCoder.

I really want to have AI in the V1.5 release; I need to almost completely stop using my PC to get this RSI healed. Therefore, V1.5 could be the last version. At least for a long time. I have been working hard to ensure that V1.5 is as bug-free as possible. I want it to also be as complete as possible. I'm not one to release new versions often. I want to get it right first time - sounds foolish I know, but I belive it can work. Heck, it HAS to work. My health is at risk :

Thanks for your input, TAG Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26