Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site update
Merry Christmas one and all!

I have just finished giving the Marshallx Industries site a long-overdue update. New color scheme, title and every page is now W3C validated.

I've also done away with the downloads page (which wasn't there anyway) and placed download links for the various projects on the project's own page.

Still got 404 errors on the Purple Alert and Enemy Unknown projects - sorry about that and will get something up as soon as I can.

There is also a new WarCraft III project I'm working on.

On a side note, the next version of Launch Base should be ready soon.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Splendid! Now if only your profile (the Website field) stopped pointing to marshall.cannis.net ... Tongue 2

Edit: On the LB page, you might want to link to an explanation of what Ares is.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Done and Edit:done!
--Lysdexia

Mmmmhhhhhh....good. Though I still suggest making the download links h2 or something. Make them BIG! SIZE DOES MATTER!
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Oh, there's a "middit" instead of a "middot" at the bottom of the LB page.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Fixed, and I've reworked the hyperlinks so they're more in keeping with RenProj and other popular sites (i.e. blue changing to navy with underline only on mouseover).

I've made the download links bold (I think h2 is freakin' massive and not really neccessary as the links are in their own section at the top of the page)
--Lysdexia

That is exactly where I see the problem, though...the downloads box is sort of in a blind spot - when a user opens the page, his focus is automatically on the large, colorful, contrasting, isolated object in the middle of the page - the screenshot. Once he's done ogling that, his eyes go upwards to the beginning of the box, to find out what launch base is. Then he scrolls down to read the feature list, sending the download links off the page - basically, his eyes jump over the download box, and never return.

If you want to keep the links up there, I'd make them large, so they have visual precedence over the rest of the text. It would probably be better to make them slightly larger and place them below the other boxes, so you have a natural order of This is Launch Base - This is what it does - Get it here. This does have the disadvantage of sending the links below the fold, though, so maybe placing the links to the right of the screenshot would be best. That way, the links are immediately within the focus area.

Independently from that, I just noticed that the black on blue of your headers is very low in contrast.
Code:
.cnttpu {
color: #CCCCFF;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 13pt;
}
Works better.

But other than that, it's a nice design Smile
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
The Anal-Retentive HTML Markup Enforcer deems your index page INAPPROPRIATE! Tongue However, the fault isn't yours (unless you start using the STRICT Doctype); DCoder's news script spits out nigh but XHTML. Take a look at this. Giggle
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
"This document was successfully checked as HTML 4.01 Transitional!"?
Forum Rules

(29.12.2008, 09:17:41)Electro Wrote: Anal-Retentive HTML Markup Enforcer
HTML Validator Wrote:Result: Passed, 25 warning(s)
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Those warnings are from the RenegadeProjects news script, which isn't neccessarily in HTML 4.01 Transitional like the rest of my site. But hey, it does say "Passed" - they are just warnings.
All the other pages at marshall.strategy-x.com pass with no warnings.
--Lysdexia

HTML Validator Wrote:Result: Passed, 25 warning(s)
Forum Rules

(29.12.2008, 14:03:29)Marshall Wrote: Those warnings are from the RenegadeProjects news script, which isn't neccessarily in HTML 4.01 Transitional like the rest of my site. But hey, it does say "Passed" - they are just warnings.
All the other pages at marshall.strategy-x.com pass with no warnings.
(29.12.2008, 09:17:41)Electro Wrote: DCoder's news script spits out nigh but XHTML.

I know it's from the news script. My brain treats warnings like errors: until they're dead, the page doesn't validate in my eyes.
Sorry Electro, but, as you pointed out, the news script is in XHTML whereas the rest of my site isn't, so I'm lucky to get away with just a few warnings.

Passed!
--Lysdexia

(30.12.2008, 09:46:01)Electro Wrote: I know it's from the news script. My brain treats warnings like errors: until they're dead, the page doesn't validate in my eyes.
Well, then your brain is wrong.

Ask any compiler.
Forum Rules