Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"File Base" Feature wish for Renegade Network
DCoder said:

Quote:Actually it is perfectly acceptable to post assets here... if we get more people we might even split off a separate forum for them  

Dear Renegade Poking wouldn't it be a good idea to add a  'Filebase' to RenegadeProjects, like the modenc, where anyone can post files? It would be usefull because you always have to search stuff across the whole community, ppm, yrargentinia, pixelops (<- they're already dead), rtb hp and so on.

I already got a huge file collection I can post.

I also got some small files I made which are to small to create a new homepage which nobody will visit!

Please think about it!

//edit: I hate spelling mistakes
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]
If there was interest, sure, it would be a good idea, but there are also problems... The biggest one would be getting permission from the asset authors, we can't just go around and take files from PixelOps or elsewhere, and by now plenty of authors have already left the community and we would have a hard time contacting them. And I doubt sites would give up their own asset forums for something not under their control.

Administrative Notice:

Moved - not an announcement.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
pfft...I could check the possibility of anonymous FTP for the file fortress, with prepared folders like "SHP", "VXL", "Application" or so, but I don't quite get how such a solution would be different from the YR Args and PixelOps of this community?
(Except for the fact that they're dead.)
I'd also have to make sure there's a file size limit imposed, as I'd rather not find 30 GB of warez on it by the next day.
I'm at uni atm, so I can't look into it, but I'll see how feasible that is tonight.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
The fact that they are dead is the main reason for my proposal. I think there isn't a up-to-date portal for c&c ra 2 or earlier. (Or I never found it) I think modenc is the best and most up-to-date modding site and I think it is necessary to add such a filebase. I feel like community is dying slowly and there are only 3 or 4 sites remaining for true C&C "old school" fans.
If renegades needs this, I could take care about this section. I LOVE files ;-)
Another good idea:
Add a download counter for each file.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Download counter would require a script. We have taken this very "low tech" approach to file hosting because last time we used a script, it was exploited and people illegitimately gained access to the server.
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
I searched two houres for a php download script when I decided to download a opensource download system and extract the filebase from it. Luckily I found "Olate Download" which I could rewrite for renProj purposes. This download script features guest file upload and mirror linking. I will present the improved system when i finished it, the Ren can decide if he wants to host it.
Did I not make very clear why we are not using a script?
Forum Rules

No. Sry
Download scripts inherently need less restrictive permissions in order to be operable (namely, world write permissions). In addition, software is not perfect, and especially open source internet scripts are often exploited. This latter situation happened to us last time we used a download script - I believe we found a few hundred megs of warez (some japanese anime series episodes, I think), and a .php that allowed the attacker shell access to the server. In fact, when I removed the attacker's script, a new one appeared the next day - so we were not only exploited, but actually actively monitored.

Our host's reaction? Instead of helping us catch the offender and securing the machine, they declared our server would never count as "secure" again, because nobody knew what exactly was installed.

The FTP method may have the drawback of not giving out stats or pretty description pages, but at least it's more or less secure. I'd rather not have to pay for terabytes of traffic used up by ripped DragonBall Z episodes or something.
Forum Rules

Ok I didn't kow that, I understand your reaction and I'm sorry for my quite cheeky try. I'm looking forward to the FTP access.
Possible, better to send a files via post-office?
This is 100% secure Big Grin
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Carrier pigeons Wink
Forum Rules

nah, they have a tendancy to get caught and eaten.