Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 years of Rock Patch
RockPatch
You remember that happened two years ago?
yes, two years ago the RockPatch project was created.
the first version haven't not many features -
Only
Code:
Up to 255 new InfDeaths without player-owned MakeInfantry capability.
Up to 90 new InfDeaths with player-owned MakeInfantry capability.

See legendary thread about .tlb files here
and "gamemd.exe hacked" thread Smile
and hero PD start hacking YR.

Now Rock Patch are extending YR engine for modders.
for example, look at two mods:Mental Omega and ROTC.

yes, because RockPatch - EXE hack project,
it sometimes have problems such as errors and glitches,
but we are fixing them as fast as possible Smile

Now we will celebrate the RockPatch's birthday Smile
Happy birthday, Rock Patch!!!
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Amazing that it's been 2 years already.

Heh, remember how the zip file of the first hacked exe (which added one country in the list) was broken?
I'm surprised I could still convince people that I was not a n00b talking crap... Big Grin

CnCVK Wrote:it sometimes have problems such as errors and glitches,
but we are fixing them as fast as possible
Yes, that's the ideology... Wink

CnCVK Wrote:Now we will celebrate the RockPatch's birthday Smile
*puts on party hat and throws confetti*
[Image: jsfml.png]
Happy Birthday
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Happy birthday Smile
I love this patch =) And the makers Smile
Happy Birthday Smile I'm looking forward to many years of RP goodness. Big Grin
2 years and we still havn't produced a purely stable release. looking at a dev point of view, thats kinda bad.

but given this situation. its not as bad as it seems.

happy birthday RP
Bobingabout Wrote:2 years and we still havn't produced a purely stable release.
We?? Come on, jonwil, CnCVK and me were the only ones actually working on RP (code-wise).
There's a huge handicap for all of us: we don't know 100% how the game works, and we can't (not in the next few decades unless EA gives us the source which would end RP anyways).

Plus, I was a beginner when I started this as my first ever hacking project, while jonwil didn't seem to be very experienced in YR modding so he didn't quite know what he was doing.
And CnCVK, well, we'll see. At the moment he's recoding a lot of my old stuff, adding weird features like that info page that nobody needs and unfortunately he's also changing a lot of tag names.

So there's nobody doing an A job here and it's certainly not easy to do so (you really seem to think that most of the time).

Compared with what you did (the thing you did most of the time was trying to get us code stuff that you could use in that mod you advertise for on any occasion), I think you should be pretty happy that RP even exists.

Bobingabout Wrote:but given this situation. its not as bad as it seems.
What the hell do you mean by "this situation"?
I hope you mean what I stated above.
[Image: jsfml.png]
pd Wrote:
Bobingabout Wrote:2 years and we still havn't produced a purely stable release.
We??
i admit, that was phrased a little wrong. 2 alternatives could be
1. 2 years and you/they still havn't produced a purely stable release.
2. 2 years and we still havn't seen a purely stable release.

by we, i didn't intend to claim any credit for the RP creation, mearly meaning the community as a whole, which, is phrased wrong anyway.
pd Wrote:
Bobingabout Wrote:but given this situation. its not as bad as it seems.
What the hell do you mean by "this situation"?
I hope you mean what I stated above.
yes. and probably best to replace "this" with "the".

i understand that it is development work, but i feel that it is extreamly important, especially after all this time, that a version is released that can be considered "Stable", meaning, we can tell people to use that version of RockPatch, and they won't be coming back to us saying "i hate rockpatch" I've heard this a few times, "it doesn't work properly" many features don't work as intended, and get fixed in a later release, "it breaks savegames" no comment. etc...

what i'd recomend you try to do is: have 2 months of coding new stuff, then a month of beta's and bug fixing, then release the next stable, then start the whole procedure again with more new features.
doesn't matter how much you get done in these 2 months, just tie up loose ends for the beta and release, and the beta period doesn't have to be a whole month, could be a couple of weeks, depends how much work is required. but imo, this is a good plan outline.
if you wanted you could even have Alphas, where during the dev period, you ask people to test new features out for you. (usually a select few people, where a beta is a much wider audience)
The problem has been that either the patch creators work on adding new features or making it stable. I think is fairly safe to say the community has been pushing (and still is) for more features. You have been one of the worst for it and are now complaining that its not stable and how its such a terrible situation. Each release is pretty much an extended beta test and if you were really that bothered about stability, you shouldn't have been basing your mod on the work and neither should all these people that complain about new versions breaking old 'new feature'.
maybe you've missed a bit, but i've been pushing for stability since the relase of 1.08, which is actually quite a while now.
Quote:2 years and we still havn't produced a purely stable release.
RP 1.07 is stable Smile

Quote:adding weird features like that info page that nobody needs
This feature is undocumented at first and exist in original YRBig Grin
it's very simple to do it Smile

Quote:unfortunately he's also changing a lot of tag names.
not a lot.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Quote:RP 1.07 is stable Smile
Do you not mean 1.07b? 1.07 had bugs with new EVA voices and the AutoFire stuff
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
1.07b also has the brocken newrad
bob stop complain if you dont like the patch dont use it
well, there has never been a version of rockpatch released that is completly bugfree. 1.08SE is probably as close as 1.07b.

and, its not that "I" don't like rockpatch, i think its a great effort, i just think whoever is working on it (i know its VK right now) should release a stable.

I'm still kinda shocked that OTTD V0.5 is still in beta stage. they upto RC4, and probably will release an RC5 soon. now, several months in RC Betas, now thats dedication to bugfixing. (0.4.8 was in RC for about a month, at was released after RC2, however, 0.4.8 was a bugfix release for 0.4.7, which was in turn bugfix for 0.4.6, bugfix for 0.4.5, a half way version between 0.4.0.1, a bugfix for 0.4, and the currently in dev 0.5.... i guess they got sick and tired of releasing bugfix releases.)