Poll: How should RockPatch flag information be stored?
This poll is closed.
As it is now, in the Reference
0%
0 0%
Each flag on their own page, like all other flags and sections
80.00%
4 80.00%
Neither, I have a better idea...
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions needed: Treatment of RockPatch flags on ModEnc
As mentioned in the news, I'll be trying to re-order some RockPatch pages. Part of this effort is a decision regarding the following issue:

Should RockPatch-introduced flags (and later ETS ones) be treated like normal flags, with their own pages?

Pros:
  • All RockPatch flag information is currently stored on one page, which makes it hard to find specific things.
  • The new flag template has an extra icon for "RockPatch required", I'll add a "RockPatch version" template, showing "Introduced in Version:" and "Obsoleted in Version:", and they'll of course all be in a RockPatch Flags category - so it'll be obvious which flags belong to RockPatch and which don't.
  • Flag descriptions can be a lot more elaborate and detailed, including even screenshots and other gimmicks.
  • Flag pages could include other categories, meaning Category:Warhead Flags would show RockPatch flags as well - no cross-referencing between normal YR and RP necessary.
  • ModEnc → AutoFire is way more intuitive than ModEnc → RockPatch Docs:Reference → [SuperWeaponTypes] → AutoFire.
  • On the same note, RockPatch-related search queries' results would have a much higher value if they didn't all end in RockPatch:Status and RockPatch Docs:Reference.
Cons:
  • The central reference would be nothing more than a link list (in fact, I'd turn it into a redirect to Category:RockPatch Flags).
  • RockPatch pages would be in RockPatch:, RockPatch tutorials would be in RockPatch Docs:, but RockPatch flags would be in the main namespace (although it could all be easily accessed from RockPatch:Main).
  • Work. The reference would have to be resolved to pages.
Your opinions?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
IRC Wrote:[2006-09-12 18:01:06] <DCoder> if you put the rp ini tags in the rp namespace, I reserve the right to create same named redirects to them in the main namespace
[2006-09-12 18:18:21] <Renegade> <-- needs taskbar flashing
[2006-09-12 18:18:53] <Renegade> and yes, no problem.
I have changed my mind since, and I definitely think putting them directly in the main NS is the way to go, just add some thing like [[Category:RockPatch Flags]].

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
I too lazy to change it at all Smile
so you should do it instead of me Tongue
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

If you make sure people notice that RP is required for those tags (which you'd do using icons), this is a good idea.
Though, CnCVK would definitely have to stop renaming tag names then.

I'd certainly help on creating pages, but my time is limited atm due to school (it's finally over soon) so I can't tell how much I'll be able to do.
[Image: jsfml.png]
Like I said in the original post, only the not-yet-finished RP symbol would light up in the flag template, and I'd add an additional box to each flag looking something like this:
Code:
-------------------------------
|-------                      |
||     |  Introduced in: X.YY |
||     |  Obsoleted in: -     |
|-------                      |
-------------------------------
With the square to the left being said yet-unfinished RP logo.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
My idea: Create a simple list of tag's names.
However, I don't update this page in my current help.

Quote:Introduced in: X.YY
Obsoleted in: -
the best variant to show only tags of current version,
people can download help for old Rock Patch versions.
like "Rock Patch Offline Help 8", "Help for RP 1.07"
(available now)

Any suggestions?
ARM forever - x86 sucks!