Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads-Up: Server Move
A few of you (especially those closer to the admin/hosting/server circles of RenProj) may have noticed that I've been doing a little "house cleaning" on the server recently.

The reason for this is simple: Within the next 7 days, we will move to a new server.
There's nothing exciting or dramatic about it, we've simply been using an older line of our host's server offerings for a while, and thanks to my house cleaning, we can finally upgrade to their current line. The vast, vast, vast majority of you will not notice a difference.

The actual move should be quick and painless, as it has been the previous times - I'll set up the new server first, and, once everything is up and running, will simply re-point the domains. You'll look at the old server one day and at the new one the next day.

The only reason you'll know it happens at all is because I will disable server services once the move is imminent, to ensure no new data is uploaded to the old server after the move.

There should be no issues with this, however, since we have some custom stuff installed (e.g. Launch Base packages for Ares branches), and since I'll use the chance to update the software we're using, there might be a glitch here and there. Please report those asap so we can fix them.

Our IRC channel is on an entirely independent IRC network and should be functional the whole time. Among the briefly disrupted services will be:
  • These forums
  • Subversion
  • The bugtracker
Launch Base downloads should continue to work the entire time, the only way those could get screwed up is if the new server tries to update the files before it's actually ready to do so. But that's unlikely.

As said, overall, few of you should notice anything but the brief deactivation.
I can't give you an exact time-frame of when the move will happen, simply because I don't know yet how quickly our host will set up the new machine, and how "friendly" the new server will be, but from past experience with both, it's entirely possible it'll happen within the next 24 hours.

I will announce when the move was completed both in this thread as well as a new post.
We may use this event to tinker with a few things on the server, but that will happen after the move and is technologically unrelated.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused,
Ren

Edit 12 minutes later: Just got my login data for the new server. Expect the move within the next 24 hours.
Edit 24 hours later: All went well and normal state for end users should be back.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.