Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine?
I don't think YR will be forgotten, really. Transport Tycoon Deluxe was released 1995, and OpenTTD was first publicly released in 2004.
I'm pretty sure OpenTTD is far more popular and more prominent than TTD was in its later years - simply thanks to the power of free internet distribution and technological "currentness".

I do think OpenYR would find its userbase once it were at an acceptable technical level, especially once it begins to exceed stock YR (e.g. by being cross-platform from the start, supporting TCP/IP, etc.), I just think actually getting there will be the challenge.

As said, there have been multiple such projects, and they all failed to my knowledge. As Alex said, it requires a dedicated team and organization.
It could work with Ares's team and the established organizational structure, especially if more people join over the course of development - but as expressed earlier, it would inevitably be detrimental to Ares and lead to a lack of patches to stock YR - which wouldn't be good for the community.

My own guess is that OpenYR will come when we hit the wall with Ares - when further work is simply not possible without a complete engine source.
But that point is probably years away.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine? - by EagleScreen - 18.08.2010, 04:43:24
RE: Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine? - by Renegade - 23.08.2010, 03:54:42