Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between newbies and n00bs
Apparently, you guys make a distinction between newbies and n00bs (something I might not do) here on the renegadeprojects forums. As I understand it, the distinction is:

newbie: Someone who is simply new to something (be it a forum, modding, or whatever)
n00b: Someone who is not much of a newbie, but continues to stubbornly and retardedly act like one.

Am I right, or is the distinction different?
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]
Your definition is wrong in so far as that "act like one" implies that newbies behave the same way n00bs do. That is incorrect. Quite the opposite. A newbie usually knows he has no clue. A n00b thinks he has a clue, acts like that, but actually doesn't. Usually, this is paired with a certain degree of obnoxiousness, meaning that, once it has been pointed out they're talking out of their ass, they get aggressive and try to argue, instead of just seeing the situation objectively and realizing they have no clue what they're talking about.

In a recent discussion in chat about the distinction between newbs, n00bs and trolls, I summed it up this way:
Renegade Wrote:<Renegade> a newbie is a new guy. a n00b is someone who vastly overestimates himself in skill, intelligence and/or importance, and, as a result, is usually obnoxious
<Renegade> a troll deliberately tries to incite trouble, knowing full well what he's doing. a n00b actually thinks he's right and is defending himself
The second line relates to the difference between trolls and n00bs starting flamewars.

This distinction between newb and n00b is tradition from back at DZ, and is not uncommon throughout the 'net:

Current Wikipedia:
Wikipedia Wrote:Although there are many terms for the variation of "Newbie", each term in itself has its own meaning.

Newbie, in the gaming world is referred to someone who is a rookie, or beginner at the chosen game.
"Noob" is directed at someone who plays the game, but doesn't quite understand it and is inexperienced with what to do.
"Nub" is someone who plays regularly but in plain terms, sucks.

Older Wikipedia:
Quote of WP Wrote:Newb and noob may have somewhat different connotations. Newbs are simply newcomers—noob and n00b, on the other hand, generally means someone who is obnoxious, annoying, or breaks the rules; whether they are actual newcomers or not is mostly irrelevant. Therefore, a noob may be someone who has been around for a long time but still engages in behavior that he or she should have learned is unacceptable. Noobs are generally confident in what they are doing, but in reality are annoying others. "Newb" is not necessarily an insulting word, but "noob" usually is. If someone makes an unintelligent comment on a forum or asks a question that even other newbies could answer then it is said that they are making a "noobish" comment or asking a "noobish" question. [...]
"Noob" can also mean a person who claims to know a lot about a subject but in truth does not. It was first used in hacker groups on the BBS chat systems in the 1980s. It is important to note that noob and newb are not necessarily interchangeable. Many times the term noob or n00b will be used by veterans to degrade a user for their lack of knowledge, or claims to know more than they truly do.[...]

Urban Dictionary:
Urban Dictionary Wrote:II. Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

Noobs are often referred to as n00bs as a sign of disrespect toward them, and it's often hella funny, but I will refer to them as noobs during this reading.

* Usually the topic at hand on an internet forum.

To make this very clear in terms of the rules:
We are open towards newbies. Being new is nothing bad and we're happy to help newcomers find their way around.
But being a n00b 'round here is not accepted, and the rules include several provisions explicitly legitimizing fighting fire with fire, as well as giving moderators free hand in dealing with them.

We consider n00bs elements that disturb the peace of our little community, and therefore see no reason to keep them around.

Hope this answered your question Smile
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Thanks, that answered my question.
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]