Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RockPatch -> Ares Migration Assistance
This is pre-alpha, the most functionality it has right now is calling the open/save dialogs, but I thought I'd give you something shiny to look at, and get your comments on the layout right away:    

Ignore the colors, that's just my personal theme, nothing fixed. Two main questions to answer:
  1. How do you like the layout overall? Good, bad? Anything important missing?
  2. The checkbox option is badly labeled, imo, but I can't come up with a better label. Ultimately, what will happen is, if that checkbox is checked, the converter will check for RockPatch flags which are set in the INI, but have no equivalent Ares function yet; it will then comment those flags out, with a special marker to tell the converter to check these outcommented flags in the future, in case that functionality got added to Ares. (If unchecked, the converter will just ignore RP flags there is no Ares equivalent for, leaving them in the INI.) So...how to label that checkbox? I'd like to keep the label length roughly in the current dimensions, and avoid multiple lines...just a quick, succinct summary of what one is checking there. Any ideas?
As mentioned before, it's being done in C++ with wxWidgets, so it'll be cross-platform compatible, and I'm compiling with the -ansi flag, which limits the code to "The 1998 ISO C++ standard plus amendments.", so the code should compile on any system wxWidgets works on in the end, and be compilable with any standards-compliant C++ compiler.

In all likelihood, I'll drop the source in Ares's tools repository once I release, which poses another question: Which license to use? By default, I'm tending towards GPL, but I'm open for suggestions, in case someone would prefer a different license for a good reason?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
RE: RockPatch -> Ares Migration Assistance - by Renegade - 27.11.2009, 10:57:19