Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my ai file
You weren't even there when I replied Tongue

Besides, the point was that it's there and documented. DZ's paragraph is comparatively long, elaborate, and explains in detail what the flag does and how it should be treated. Your quotes says essentially the same (logically) - so why is it required in the first place?
He found DZ's quote - he has it in his post. If he doesn't understand DZ saying "if you have edited AI.INI and increased the size of the TaskForces or included expensive units, doing so may mean that the AI would not use those TaskForces as it may not be able to assemble them before this time limit", what difference does it make if you tell him "if you added some large teams which take very long to build, than you should increase this to make sure they can be completed in time before this limit"?

The whole premise of his post was silly. Do you really think DZ would have written an entire, detailed paragraph if the effects of the flag could be summed up as "the larger this value, the more they will build"?
This flag (and all others on this list) has a specific, explained effect. He has quoted the explanation of the flag(s). There should not be anything left to say than maybe questions about specific bugs and peculiarities in implementation.
To go "here are the explanations of the flags I'm going to use, can I sum them up as 'more = more'?" only shows that they were not understood, without actually asking for help understanding them or identifying the problem.

DissolveUnfilledTeamDelay is documented. It is the time limit after which the computer will give up assembling the team because it takes too long to build. That's what it is, and it's simple. Any attempt to simplify it to "greater number = more units" is silly, almost inevitably inaccurate and unnecessary. If he had truly understood what it meant, then his question would not only have been unnecessary, but he would actually have realized that his attempt on oversimplification is inaccurate.
If he did not understand what the explanation meant, then he should have specifically stated so and identified where the problem with the phrasing is - because if he didn't get the original phrasing, your almost identical phrasing is unlikely to help him.

Hell, in fact, your original reply underlines that quite well - instead of replying to his oversimplification, you ignore the question and tell him how to use the flags. And yet, he still came back and asked for specific values. Had he actually understood what the flag does, then he should have been able to roughly calculate how high his number should be. If he still doesn't understand the flag, then he should specifically state so. If he does understand what it does, but doesn't know how to calculate his value, then he can ask about that, as well.

My post was not directed at you, mt. As said, when I opened the thread, your post wasn't there yet. My post was meant as a subtle hint that his entire course of understanding and problem solution is majorly lacking.

So far, he is only randomly guessing numbers and asking for your approval. That is not the kind of modding we promote here, and that will not help him diagnose problems in the long run. We are willing to help with any problems of understanding the system, if he can explain where the problem is. If it's a simple thing of "I do not understand the explanation given, please rephrase it", then I'm sure you'd happily oblige - we could put it up on ModEnc, and future modders running into this problem could all benefit.
But so far, all I see is that he has all explanations right here in front of him, and making no effort to actually understand them. And that's not just annoying, that's wasting our time, the server's time, database space, and so on.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
my ai file - by Nikademis Von Hisson - 05.12.2008, 02:14:49
RE: my ai file - by mt. - 06.12.2008, 04:24:51
RE: my ai file - by Nikademis Von Hisson - 06.12.2008, 05:09:35
RE: my ai file - by Nikademis Von Hisson - 06.12.2008, 09:15:08
RE: my ai file - by mt. - 06.12.2008, 20:35:41
RE: my ai file - by Nikademis Von Hisson - 07.12.2008, 08:13:26
RE: my ai file - by mt. - 08.12.2008, 00:47:42
RE: my ai file - by Renegade - 08.12.2008, 01:05:19
RE: my ai file - by mt. - 09.12.2008, 04:05:53
RE: my ai file - by Renegade - 09.12.2008, 08:16:57
RE: my ai file - by DCoder - 09.12.2008, 18:33:08