Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine?
We acknowledge your link to...concept art?

No seriously, that's nice and all, but...it's not new. As said, there have been multiple attempts at engines before, and they all got the graphics to load.
Not saying it's not a big deal, and not having done any work like that so far, I'm not going to discount it, but let's be honest here - a playable, moddable replacement for YR needs more than graphics loading, and the loading and display code for all the graphics file types is available in at least two open source projects - Olaf's XCC tools, and Banshee's/PPM's OS tools.
So, as said - while I'm not discounting the achievement, the fact of the matter is that displaying C&C graphics files is mostly a matter of correctly incorporating existing, years-old code.

What that project needs to actually be interesting and promising is to achieve a "playable" state - to have all the fundamentals functionalities to have a battle of multiple unit types.
So far, all I'm seeing is month-long pauses in the thread and graphical work.

If that engine progresses into something promising, we'll certainly try to support it, but as said before: Multiple people and teams have started engines before, and, as far as I know, none of them was ever completed.
So it'll take more than rendered tiles to grab my attention.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine? - by EagleScreen - 18.08.2010, 04:43:24
RE: Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine? - by Renegade - 30.08.2010, 23:55:31