Renegade Projects Network Forums

Full Version: Multiple non-conflicting mods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
what exactly are you talking about, because it looks like you are not all on the same page here...
The YR scripted video files (.ipb) will only play correctly on the exact same mod that they were recorded on. Never tested myself, but I imagine running on a different mod would cause weird behaviour, no behaviour, internal errors, or a mix of all three.

Launch Base will ensure video files are saved and read from the correct mod folder, but won't stop problems resulting from a mod being updated. So I suggested the possibility of making the installers automatically remove old video files - but Renegade points out that this will confuse and annoy some people.
Marshall Wrote:The YR scripted video files (.ipb) will only play correctly on the exact same mod that they were recorded on. Never tested myself, but I imagine running on a different mod would cause weird behaviour, no behaviour, internal errors, or a mix of all three.
It results in the same mess every scripted sequence with changed base rules ends up in: It instructs your units to do the exact same stuff as when recorded, but it doesn't make any sense, because it's not the same anymore.

e.g. if, in the original game, two Grizzlies tried to defend their base against three Prism Tanks, got owned, you died, and, as a result, you increased the Grizzly's firepower, then, the next time you'd play the "video", the same battle would be started, but your Grizzlies would 0wn the Prisms, they'd never destroy your base, and everybody would just sit on the map and be confused why the game hasn't ended yet.

Marshall Wrote:Launch Base will ensure video files are saved and read from the correct mod folder, but won't stop problems resulting from a mod being updated. So I suggested the possibility of making the installers automatically remove old video files - but Renegade points out that this will confuse and annoy some people.
How about big, unignorable warning messages and indicators?
e.g. filename: some_video_mental_omega_1.53.ipb
installed mod version: 1.61

Are you very sure you want to play this video?
[ Yes ] [ No ]

if(!confirm) goto firstMessage;
Renegade Wrote:[quote=Marshall]
Are you very sure you want to play this video?
[ Yes ] [ No ]
I had been planning on letting the user choose the filename of the video when YR closes. But perhaps a date, time, mod version would be quicker. Users could then choose to rename the file manually - in which case need to get program to accept unformatted filenames too.
Update: my DLL can now successfully extract audio.bag (and random other files I tried). Big Grin
Shweet. DCoder, without you this project would be nothing.
I really need to get a move on and finish the install-maker, then we'd be fast approaching a beta test.
Bobingabout Wrote:you tend to swap them around so people have to even think about ignoring it, else they could simply double click.
The point was less to actually make them read it, but to cut complaint threads short:

"OMFG MY VIDEO DOESNT WROK ANY MORE!!!"
"You specifically confirmed you had read the notice about the dangers of playing videos from older versions. Closed."
A note on how to use shortcuts to mods:

LaunchBase.exe -game mymod
Will automatically launch the mod contained in the "mymod" folder, and close Launch Base when YR closes.

LaunchBase.exe -play
Auto displays Play Video dialog when launching a mod, even if option is turned off.

LaunchBase.exe -play myvideo.ipb
Will cause myvideo.ipb to automatically play if it is available for the mod you are launching. If it isn't, then the Video selection dialog will be shown.

LaunchBase.exe -game mymod -play
Auto launches mymod, and auto displays Play Video dialog even if options is turned off. Closes LaunchBase when YR closes.

LaunchBase.exe -game mymod -play myvideo.ipb
Auto launches mymod, auto plays myvideo.ipb, and closes LaunchBase when YR closes.
My opinion:
*add "record game" option
*remove "Run in window"
CnCVK Wrote:*remove "Run in window"
why? i use that option sometimes.

i don't even see the point in recording the games... not unless you can play it back afterwards in windows media player, or bink, or something like that.
Windowed mode only seems to work in 16 bit colour mode according to the error messages it gives when you try to start it if your computer is in 32 bit mode.
i have other games like that, so, switching to 16bit colour isn't a major concern.
It would be a lot easier if there was some option in windows to run a program in 16 bit colour, like there is a 'Run in 256 colours option'. Anyway, run in window should be kept in, but perhaps give some sort of warning that your computer needs to be set to 16 bit colour, or if it's possible, perhaps it could change the colour depth for you.
Because it work not correctly 75% Unhappy
However, I use it to debug Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16