Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unlagged graphics with ddraw driver for RA2/YR
CnCVK Wrote:This DLL file is safe.
Was compiled on VS2005
...yes. Lift eyebrow
Care to explain why exactly a certain compiler/IDE automatically makes a DLL safe by default?

CnCVK Wrote:In the main: it hooks DirectDrawCreate function and replace version to 3.
D said on IRC that function has long been obsolete, and DirectDrawCreateEx is current - is version 3 of DirectDrawCreate higher or lower than the version originally used by RA2?

CnCVK Wrote:About YR now:
YR not use any hardware acceleration at all.
if you have the latest video card model, or with 8 MB of memory
no difference at all Unhappy
What I said - Power of Suggestion.

tsactuo Wrote:Thanks CnCVK. Btw are you sure that in the standard YR there is no hw acceleration. I remember when I changed Graphics Card in my old PC the game ran faster at the maximum speed.
One of us seriously needs to let go of the mental concept of "Hardware 2D Acceleration". I mean, wtf do you imagine there? That there are 2D graphics that are rendered by the CPU, and then magically passed on to the monitor, and then there are "hardware accelerated" 2D graphics which are rendered by the GPU?
The digital image displayed on your monitor is composed by your graphics card. If you install a faster graphics card, said image can be composed faster, if the rest of your hardware allows it. It's as simple as that. Of course your game was faster when you installed a better graphics card, because the graphics hardware, the piece of your machine you hate so much, could generate the graphics faster. But nooo, you don't like dedicated hardware for specific tasks...you'd rather have the CPU do everything, 'cause you've got so many Megahertz...Rolling eyes

tsactuo Wrote:Renegade, I never really said for sure what and who made it because I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. I was clear for that from the first post. All the rest are just guesses from my personal experience using it and from what piscinex says in his mod. I am not sure for anything.
And that is exactly the problem. You know nothing, yet say "it's good, it's good", make incredible promises, and tell everyone to download it.

tsactuo Wrote:You asked me to say more about this file, and I said thatever I knew about it.
No. You produced more guesses to justify your embracement.

tsactuo Wrote:I just posted a file that I am using for long now and I know it is safe.
Because? You don't even know what it does!

tsactuo Wrote:Because I got this file from a public mod I though most people had it.
T¡bEd is public as well. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it. (But T¡bEd at least delivers what it promises.)

tsactuo Wrote:But I started YR modding some months ago, and in the forums I have never seen anyone mentioning it.
Coincidence? I think not.

tsactuo Wrote:From my experience and my friends experience this file is a "must" if play either RA2 or YR.
PoS works especially well in groups.

tsactuo Wrote:So I thought that I would share it with the community. And while doing that you instantly attacked me like I was going to hurt somebody.
Oh, I didn't think you were going to hurt somebody. I just thought you might do so accidently, while you're far away in your protected little Magic DLL Land...

tsactuo Wrote:For me this file has opened modding possibilities because you can add many new graphics without affecting FPS.
I remember adding many new graphics without any problems as well. Without TheMagicDLL. What's problematic is what you code with those graphics, not the number of them.
Twenty different fixed smoke animations would probably still result in better FPS than ten semi-translucent Small Grey Smoke Systems...

tsactuo Wrote:imo this file should be used by everyone who still plays RA2/YR.
He has no idea what it does, how it does it, and where it comes from, but we all should use it.

tsactuo Wrote:However you can just test it and if you don't like it just delete it.
Bang head against wall
I spend my day telling you how it's stupid and insecure to run some random DLL off the 'net, and you tell me to just test it Rolling eyes

tsactuo Wrote:I just wanted to help. Sorry for the frustration.
Your intentions are surely good, but next time you're promising Modder's Heaven, you might want to consider bringing actual proof and some background information as well. 'cause all we have atm is your word on one side, and logic, negative reports by TheMan and VK's "no difference at all" on the other side.
I don't assume you were trying to mislead us. I just have the strong suspicion that you convinced yourself so much that this DLL works that you are unable to see that it's all just in your head.
Show proof, and I'll stfu and stickify the thread. Until then, I consider this a placebo solution.

tsactuo Wrote:I am new here, and generally in the YR modding, so I don't want to have a chat fight with anyone.
Don't worry. There is no fight.

tsactuo Wrote:I still don't know the origin of the file. Either it is Piscinex's or just a DirectDraw File. The only way to find is to ask him.
Doesn't this concern you at least a little? Handing over control of your hardware to a library you know nothing about?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unlagged graphics with ddraw driver for RA2/YR - by Renegade - 28.12.2006, 01:38:33
RE: Unlagged graphics with ddraw driver for RA2/YR - by Guest - 28.12.2006, 09:19:26