Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New GAME
Quote:such projects should *really* be platform-independent these days.
Not sure.
Quote:I'm finding SDL being a really cool base for a game
Why I need to use a somebody's library?
I can write a own library, with my bugs LOLLOLLOL

Quote: I wrote a **small** YR-like engine
What will happen with your engine if you add a 1000 units and nuke SW Unhappy
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

as said, it's not useable cause of pretty bad coding.
it's been a c++ practice of mine...

don't underestimate the speed of SDL though.
if you use it correctly you can certainly write a faster engine than the YR one
[Image: jsfml.png]
What language did u intend to program this in? A project like this would have to be open source :o Wink
Quote:What language did u intend to program this in?
C++ & Assembler LOL
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

main thing with assembler is, were you planning to do assembler in x86 or x64?

so many things to consider, best leave it open to all of them. there are 3 main operating systems, Windows, Linux and MacOS. SDL and OpenGL or DirectX? (ATI, SiS, NVidia or Intel graphics cards?), Multiple Graphics cards(SLI)?, Multiple or spanned screens?, 32bit or 64bit, multiple threads and/or cores? (and thats just PC/Mac, think of how campanies make games that run on PCs and multiple consoles(yet they don't allow for multiple operating systems).)
c++ aye? Smile I may be able to lend some support if i have time ^^

i'd stay away from 64 bit architechture for now because it is not yet widespread enough... I'd say 75% of the people who would be interested in this game have x86 cpus... :o
Quote:there are 3 main operating systems
I planned it on Windows systems at first Smile
Then, somebody can porting it to another systems.
Quote:OpenGL or DirectX?
I thought to write universal class: DrawClass for example
which can be as dll,which use OpenGL or Direct3D or anything another Smile
Quote:32bit or 64bit,
In my plans: for many windows systems
(Win32 (x86) Win32 (ARM), Win64 (IA64), Win64 (x64))

Quote:multiple threads and/or cores?
good idea Wink
One thread calculate units moves,
another draw all LOLLOLLOL

Quote:I'd say 75% of the people who would be interested in this game have x86 cpus.
LOL
Code:
MOV RAX, 0FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEh
XOR RAX, RCX
MOV R10,RAX
Now I at Win64 LOL
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Quote:I thought to write universal class: DrawClass for example
which can be as dll
Yeah that's a good idea, and surprisingly many other people who do this aren't that smart...or just dont care....Arf

And as for assembly, I mean there is some limited help there...but since its not really needed anymore not many people care about it...LOL
Quote:If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.

Don't beg for things; Do it yourself, or you'll never get anything.
avoid "Win"32 or "Win"64... the key is "multiplatform". win32 won't run on linux or macOS... but I386 aka x86 will.
It really is not hard to make it multiplatform, you just have to avoid some stuff. Also, I think anything new should be 64, cause when it will be finished, about 75% of people will use that.
Also, using multicore would probably be necessary instead of just using one of cores... but most CPU's will probably be soon more--cores-working-as-one-core capable.
Also, OpenGL doesn't necessarily mean SDL.
yes, how many PCs sold today are 32 bit, and how many are 64bit?
there are more 64bit CPUs than you realise, intel have for some time been selling 64bit CPUs, and never told anyone it was 64bit. almost all CPUs sold today are 64bit(All AMD chips, and most of the intell chips), and the high end ones are duelcore(i heard there are plans for quadcore). the expected lifetime of a PC is 3 years. if the project takes 3 years to complete, you definitly should write it for 32bit and 64bit and multi-threading. some people might use a 32bit OS on a 64bit machine (this is currently so because people say windows XP 64 is crap), in which case the OS usually treats a 64bit processor as 2 32bit cores. therefore, a program should be tuned for 4 cores. graphics thread? this should be handled by the graphics card, not the CPU. my new computer, which should be built by wednesday has 2 1.2GHz GPUs, with 800MHz FSB and 400MHz RAMDAC, and with an upgrade can have upto 4GPUs, therefore graphics rendering should be expected to be done idealy by the graphics card, and not only purely by the graphics card, but also allow multi-threading graphics.

(i supose that means it is possible to run 2 games simultaniously, and the only bottlenecks would be FSB, RAM and Hard drive, but upgrading from a 400MHz FSB and RAMDAC, with 133Mb/s hard drive to a 1GHz FSB and 800MHz RAMDAC, with 300Mb/s hard drive, you might not notice so much(except for hard drive, because of seek time, unless i run from 2 seperate hard drives), although i expect this won't work in practice...).
Quote:It really is not hard to make it multiplatform, you just have to avoid some stuff.
I design it for windows only, if anybody want multiplatform support,
when project will be finished he can do it LOL

Quote:win32 won't run on linux
WINE

Quote:Also, I think anything new should be 64, cause when it will be finished, about 75% of people will use that.
It's rather simple to do it for Win32 and Win64 Smile

Quote: intel have for some time been selling 64bit CPUs
It's fake 64-bit CPUs LOLLOLLOL

Quote:this is currently so because people say windows XP 64 is crap
Who say? Some n00bs?

Quote:graphics thread? this should be handled by the graphics card,
No. Graphic card only create final image,
I told about another Wink
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

CnCVK Wrote:
Quote:It really is not hard to make it multiplatform, you just have to avoid some stuff.
I design it for windows only, if anybody want multiplatform support,
when project will be finished he can do it LOL
Quote:Also, I think anything new should be 64, cause when it will be finished, about 75% of people will use that.
It's rather simple to do it for Win32 and Win64 Smile
its easy to do 1, but not the other? what you been smoking, or drinking?

Quote:
Quote:win32 won't run on linux
WINE
Emulation! its a hell of a lot slower!

Quote:
Quote: intel have for some time been selling 64bit CPUs
It's fake 64-bit CPUs LOLLOLLOL
i wouldn't know, only intel i have is my laptop, and i KNOW thats not 64bit.

Quote:
Quote:this is currently so because people say windows XP 64 is crap
Who say? Some n00bs?
actually, 1 was a game developer in training, the other was a PC repair guy, and they REALLY know their shit about windows. its a bodged windows XP pro 32bit, and aparantly, its full of bugs, and not very stable.

Quote:
Quote:graphics thread? this should be handled by the graphics card,
No. Graphic card only create final image,
I told about another Wink
you been living under a rock? graphics cards now have the power of PCs from about 4 or 5 years ago, they can litereally render everything in realtime. why else would you need upto 4x 1.2GHz+ GPUs?
Quote:its easy to do 1, but not the other? what you been smoking, or drinking?
MadMadMadMadMad

Quote:actually, 1 was a game developer in training, the other was a PC repair guy, and they REALLY know their shit about windows. its a bodged windows XP pro 32bit, and aparantly, its full of bugs, and not very stable.
I use Win64 now Smile
It have many new features...

Quote:you been living under a rock? graphics cards now have the power of PCs from about 4 or 5 years ago, they can litereally render everything in realtime. why else would you need upto 4x 1.2GHz+ GPUs?
Yes. However you need tell to graphics cards what they really need to do Smile
Specify objects coordinates, lighting, ...

BTW, Anyone know where I can download W3D format description?
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

CnCVK Wrote:
Quote:its easy to do 1, but not the other? what you been smoking, or drinking?
MadMadMadMadMad
lol, t'was meant to be a joke Tongue, you should really support windows, linux and macOS, for the simple reason that if you only support windows, you are helping support(I'd say create, but that happened over a decade ago.) the monopoly.

Quote:
Quote:actually, 1 was a game developer in training, the other was a PC repair guy, and they REALLY know their shit about windows. its a bodged windows XP pro 32bit, and aparantly, its full of bugs, and not very stable.
I use Win64 now Smile
It have many new features...
if you use it, and say its good, then maybe i should give it a try. (i was going to buy it)