Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ModEnc edit count visualization
Each page's view count is in the footer of the page - there's a text that says "This page has been accessed x times". The main page currently has 151770 views, that's about 50 views a day since the start. Which sounds like a lot, until you look at the bounce rate: While the main page has gathered over 150000 views over its lifetime, an integral flag like Damage has only been viewed 3174 times - that's a little more than once a day. Who_crushes_whom, a ModEnc-unique page explaining the interaction of crushing-related flags, has even less with 3016 views. And this was written exclusively for ModEnc, so the low view count cannot be explained by people reading it in The Guide or something - it's just plain a lack of interest. If you click through random pages, it mostly gets worse:
SpiralDeltaPerCoord - 381 views
ControlledAnimationType - 491 views
Using XCC Mixer to split a singleframe PCX into multiframe SHP - 2047 views

To put this into perspective:
The first ten pages, together, have accumulated 545181 views since August 2004.
In order to reach that number again, that is, accumulate another ~545000 views, you need the next 61 pages.
After that, you need the next 146 pages.
After that, you need the following 250 pages.

Or, phrased another way: The top 11.57% percent of actual content pages accumulated half of all views on content pages since 2004.
Half of all views on content pages we got went to less than 12% of ModEnc's content pages.

And several of those top pages aren't even relevant anymore: The Legacy RockPatch Wishlist‏‎ is in third place with 61591 views. (Notice the sharp drop from place one and two with ~150000 views)
Place 7 is List of mods using Rock Patch‏‎ with 19436 views.

So while, yes, a few view counts do seem impressive at first, the truth is that ModEnc mostly consists of a very long tail.
And, still, these aren't even monthly or yearly counts. These are counts for the entire 8 years ModEnc has been up.

Ultimately, however, it just plain doesn't matter. Because what's important isn't how many people view ModEnc, what's important is who's stuck with the work. As the stats above showed, little of what has happened was the work of outsiders. Most of it was done by D, me, and a handful of others. Case in point: If you select all revisions over all namespaces [i.e. all edits in total] for all users except for the group excluded above, you get 4925 revisions committed; if you do the same narrowed down to D, me, Alex and pd [the inverse minus the bot], you get 5518. The four of us together, even without the bot account, have accumulated several hundred edits more than the entire rest of the community. Include the bot account, and you get 6129.
Let me restate that: 55.45% of all edits on ModEnc were done either by D, me, Alex, pd, or the bot after my preparation.
49.92% of all edits on ModEnc were done either by D, me, Alex or pd, without the bot.
(The bot is mostly used for mass-template changes or category moves, if you were wondering.)

And these are just pure revision commits¹.
It doesn't take into account software maintenance, plugin- and template development, spam fighting, host migrations, and so on.

That is what this is about. Workload, not view counts.

It doesn't matter whether we get a hundred or a hundred thousand views, what's important is who does the work?

For the past eight years, that was a handful of people around RenProj. Now, either someone else takes the lead, or I'll take a lack of engagement as a final confirmation of a lack of interest, and draw the logical conclusions.

¹ In addition, not all revisions are created equal. Not all of those thousands of revisions the community committed were actual, useful page edits. There were user page edits, talk page comments, bullshit edits, spam, etc., etc.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 08.10.2012, 15:38:04
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by zzattack - 08.10.2012, 16:22:20
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 08.10.2012, 18:08:19
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by pd - 09.10.2012, 19:07:43
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 09.10.2012, 21:10:41
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 01.11.2012, 20:48:32