In Ares 0.5
62.50%
10 62.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discuss: Urban Combat Damage Model Overhaul
Okay, while the poll is running another day, I think the fact that this thread has been dead for four days and that there's a 60%+ majority for scheduling it for Ares 0.5 are making it very clear where this is headed.
I'll update the tracker to reflect the plan to implement the outlined changes, including the Garrison Clearing Projectiles, in 0.5.
Doesn't necessarily mean the thread is over, but, frankly, it doesn't look like anyone has anything else to say.

Which is, by the way, a point that is worth driving home: This thread is a textbook example for why I don't jump and run to make changes to existing systems, just because there was a single request. After all the bitching, thousands of lines of posting and the insistence that making the PassThrough system more complex and more variable was oh-so-important...what was the community's reaction?
Quote:I agree with Original Post, what it outlined as what you can offer is already enough, and other bugs seem more important than adding 101 different things to this.

Quote:[...] the only actual implementation worth adding in is the addition of weapon overrides. I can't see any need for additional effects due to the engine limits, anything else would just be clutter in my opinion.

Quote:[...] I think that this should be delayed until Ares 0.5. While I can see how this would definitely be useful for some modders, I believe the system we have right now, while simplified (as is most of the game logic compared to real life), is good enough for the present.

Quote:[...] seeing as it is somewhat implemented already I feel that an overhaul should be left for a quiet day after Morale, Panic, Radar Jammers, and all the other nifty things are accounted for.
...the 60%+ voting for not postponing any other features for this only drives the point home: Nobody cares.

After thousands of lines of post, all the bitching, all the insistence that changing this is oh-so-important and whatnot, we got a glorious six people who could even be bothered to post, out of which five are fine with the original suggestion.

This is the reason singular commenters with theoretical usage cases are not reason enough to dive head-first into the code and immediately change everything. Because despite the overbearing nature, despite the claims of droves of modders who desperately need some random change or the given system will be worthless to them, more often than not, if only one person insists on a change, it's because only one person cares.

Thanks to all who did comment, and remember to periodically visit the tracker and give your opinion on unassessed feature requests so we can gauge where the community's interests lie and give priority to things people actually care about.

Edit: For reference, the tracking issue for UC.DaMO is 778.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discuss: Urban Combat Damage Model Overhaul - by Renegade - 22.03.2010, 10:10:55