Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cursor behaviour changes
The switch cursor idea is good, though D mention he mostly meant when you have a tank selected.

I am for making this optional, but against making it hardcoded or the default - because I think the lack of a no entry cursor would lead to confusion; if users select a Guardian GI and hover over the IFV, and they don't get an entry cursor (either a positive or negative one), their first reaction will be "wtf?", directly followed by manic unselecting/reselecting, and then screaming "BUUUUUUUUUUGGG!! CURSE YOU, PD!!".

I do understand the reasoning and logic behind it - I just think that the minor convenience it'd add is vastly outweighed by the confusion created by replacing a system that has been in place for almost eight years. Users are used to seeing the no entry cursor - taking it away will lead to confusion, unless they specifically and consciously see it as a new feature. The best option to make them be aware of the change is making it an option they themselves can activate - those who don't activate it won't get confused, those who do activate it will be aware of the change. (And no, you can't count on all users reading the release notes/change log/features list - especially not when Syringe/Ares is simply installed as a dependency for a mod, and not because they know what it is.)

On a side note, I'm pretty sure you can select the Flak Track in pd's example through simple box selection - while, yes, clicking and dragging does take a fraction of a second longer, I dare say the difference is so minuscule that it doesn't really matter. One could usually counter "but the user has to know that!", but that's my previous point - people have lived with this for eight years. They have adapted by now.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
Cursor behaviour changes - by DCoder - 03.10.2008, 21:34:22
RE: Cursor behaviour changes - by pd - 04.10.2008, 05:35:03
RE: Cursor behaviour changes - by hogo - 04.10.2008, 12:41:09
RE: Cursor behaviour changes - by Renegade - 04.10.2008, 18:46:29
RE: Cursor behaviour changes - by Bobingabout - 06.10.2008, 09:55:32