The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 871 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 871 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ModEnc edit count visualization
Good day!

I just created these two graphs out of personal curiosity, and I figured people like D or other old-timers might find them interesting.

Essentially, what I did was create a set of all days since the first revision on ModEnc (10.08.2004) and join/group the actual revisions to that set, getting a count of revisions per day.

Since I wanted to measure outside contributions, I filtered out my own edits, D's, the bot's and Alex's and pd's, since the latter two have artificially inflated edit counts due to working on RockPatch/Ares and being able to read the disassembled code.

In other words: These counts show the number of edits done by people who truly have a choice about editing ModEnc.

The first graph shows the number of outside contributions on a timeline, i.e. the direct edits-per-day view:
[Image: editsperdayovertime.png]

For the second one, I grouped the edit counts into six ranges, and measured each range's share:
[Image: editsperdayshare.png]

As you can see, almost two thirds of the time, no outside contributor edits ModEnc - and on 92.6% of the days of ModEnc's existence, five edits or less were made by outside contributors.

This last number as well as the long, flat lines of 0 edits for 2010 and 2012 in the first graph have confirmed my view that interest in ModEnc is low, and maintaining it myself is not a good use of my time.

This is especially considering that many of the outside-contributor-edits aren't even constructive edits: These numbers include all edits, anywhere. In other words, if a user registers and then edits his own user page after that, that's one edit for the day. If you limit the selection to just pages from the main namespace, you get 3527 total rows. This can still be spam, bullshit or otherwise unnecessary edits, but even with the pointless edits in there, that's an average of just 1.18 outside contributions a day.
Or, since I know from the previous dataset that there were 1935 days with no contribution at all, that's 3.36 outside contributions a day, on the 1048 days someone actually contributed...those 35% of days.

So yeah...when filtered down to just outside contributions, just in the main namespace, even including all bullshit edits, you still end up with less than 4 edits a day, on 35% of the days.
On 65% of the days, ModEnc is just dead¹.

If you'd like for ModEnc to stay up despite the low amount of contributions, feel free to volunteer as a maintainer. ~22 days left.

¹ At least when it comes to outside contributions, and those could still be spam.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 08.10.2012, 15:38:04
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by zzattack - 08.10.2012, 16:22:20
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 08.10.2012, 18:08:19
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by pd - 09.10.2012, 19:07:43
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 09.10.2012, 21:10:41
RE: ModEnc edit count visualization - by Renegade - 01.11.2012, 20:48:32