Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD-R2: 1150 vs. 1044, 1080 vs. 1121
Fight 1

I believe the phyco path factor !!!??? will live on in spirit for a long time, due to its name alone. I wanted to make that T-90's user title, but he didn't seem to be registered at the forums. Unhappy

Either way, independent from its memorable name, #1150, as several people pointed out, sounds mostly like a self-induced, alliance-targeted chaos gas state.
One on hand, that should make it "easy" to code - add a kill counter, send the unit into chaos state if it exceeds a certain amount of kills, add a hook to abort attack orders on friendlies while in phyco path state.
However, "easy" is in quotes for a reason. The very first part would require constant tracking of all kills all units make, with additional constant computation of how many kills per second they have, whether chaos state should be triggered, etc.
Sure, one can argue that the kill counter would be half the work for [0001147] Streak as well, so it'd be very efficient work to back, but independent from all potential performance issues (constant computation is never a good thing) - do we really want that work?

Lots of additional code to track all kills, to recalculate any given frame whether the unit has killed enough, changes to chaos logic or a complete reimplementation of a chaos logic clone, all just to gain...a loss of control?
Because, let's be serious here, that'd be all you're getting.
The unit doesn't attack enemies.
The unit doesn't magically get a different weapon.
So all it'd do is shoot the same people at the same rate it did before - all that'd be different is that you wouldn't have control anymore.

You would gain nothing but frustration when you're done killing the enemy's forces and want to move on, but can't, because your phyco paths don't acknowledge your commands.

I think with that under consideration, we can agree that #1044, if we can get it to work, would be the more worthwhile request.
Keep in mind, though, that an attempt to implement a feature is not always successful. #1044 would require restructuring several of the fundamental loading procedures of the game, and it might just plain not be possible.

Kill: #1150
Support: #1044

Fight 2

Despite what the braindead rushers like to propagate, actually injecting strategy into an RTS game and planning carefully rather than just clicking "Apocalypse" 50 times and sending your horde into the general area of the enemy is not "camping like wusses", it's the fucking point of the game.
If you want instant, constant fire, go play Quake or Unreal Tournament.

Independent from the fact that #1080 would defeat the purpose of the game by disallowing people to choose the strategy they want, instead forcing them to go on braindead killing sprees just to level up, it also gives the enemy control of your tech tree.
I mean, seriously. Think about this: Your access to higher technology would depend on being able to find the enemy, to attack him, and to actually win the individual duels.

What do you do if somebody actually does "camp like a wuss"? If he's on an island and kills the bridges, what do you do? Hope to god the modder didn't make aircraft dependent on kills? Hope the turtle doesn't have Patriots?

Making technological advancement dependent on kills would significantly shift the balance towards countries with long-range weaponry.
Imagine Great Britain vs. Cuba - the Britishman could happily take out all infantry sent towards him, making infantry assaults nothing but food for the tech tree.
Cuba would practically be forced to abandon infantry as a whole for that game, because the danger of giving GB access to more technology is too high.
Way to ruin gameplay.

Oh, and by the way, that's only if the players seek direct conflict anyway. What's stopping them from simply hunting each other's miners for an hour?
Prepare for the oh-so-exiting game where neither side has technology and no money to build basic units!
I've always wanted to see a two-hour-game ending in a battle between 5 soldiers and 3 tanks. Oh the excitement...

On the other hand, as far as I'm informed, #1121 is already partially implemented, it's a clear, narrow and simple request, and as ten years of parabomb tutorials can attest to, it's a much-wanted feature.

The choice is easy.

Kill: #1080
Support: #1121
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DFD-R2: 1150 vs. 1044, 1080 vs. 1121 - by Renegade - 07.08.2010, 00:08:43