Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP2 and Sounds
It has been done! Smile

You can now put your WAV files in a MIX file (preferably expandmd##.mix) and simply use them in soundmd.ini.

soundmd.ini? No!
It gets even better: RP2 loads soundmd00.ini through soundmd99.ini, those INIs can either add sounds or modify existing ones.

RP2 itself will probably deliver rpsound.ini, since the new game type might require them.

There are a few (minor!) limitations to the WAV system.
Firstly, at least one sound has to remain in the IDX and BAG files. That means you cannot *completely* get rid of the BAG system, but a simple null sound would do!
Secondly, if you extract sounds with the flag 0x1 set (ie if the flags are 7 or 13) and put them in a mix file for use, they are pitched down in some way. This only applies to like 10 sounds, the menu sliding sounds being among them.
It must have something to do with the WAV format, I'm not sure what it is. I might convert them to a standard format sometime and make that publicly available.
[Image: jsfml.png]
Bravo. Keep working on it! Go RP2!
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
sounds great.
question
you said you need atleast 1 sound in bag/idx file, does that include the original in langmd.mix?
Did you forget everything about modding? Tongue
audio.bag and audio.idx, if put in an expandmd##.mix overwrite the original.
So: No.
Are you saying you need an audio.idx and audio.bag in each mix file containing sounds that you make? That doesn't sound all that useful apart from for TC's that don't use the original stuff. If you don't, then surely you are saying that the langmd.mix one counts unless you make a second one, in which case why are you using the mix file system anyhow?
No!
Just somewhere where the game can find it, ONE audio.idx and ONE audio.bag has to exist with at least ONE entry, which should not be a problem even for TCs. As said, that one entry can be a null sound with a millsecond of silence or whatever you like.
So, a TC that wants to get rid of the BAG system would simply include that one-entry IDX and BAG, which would be a kilobyte or something in size.

The MIX system works parallely to the BAG system. No special tags or whatever needed.
You add the filename (without extension) to the Sounds= list of a sound, and it will work. Smile

However, WAV files in mixes are not recognized if a WAV file with the same name exists in the IDX!
So be creative. Smile
That's also where the new sound inis come in.

Case example: you want to change the MenuSlideIn sound.

Put your wave (let's assume it's called "NewMenuSlideInSound.wav") into your mix file.
Create a sound ini for your mod, let's say soundmd99.ini.
Of course, you add that to your mix as well.
If you want to change defaults, add a [Default] section (if it's not present the one from the original soundmd.ini will be used).
Add the SoundList and your sound section:
Code:
[SoundList]
1=MenuSlideIn   ;will overwrite the one in the original soundmd.ini

[MenuSlideIn]
;Volume=65    ;not even required because this is set in the original soundmd.ini already
Sounds=NewMenuSlideInSound     ;not listed in the IDX -> WAV file will be used
Does this system entirely replace the old system or would leaving the original BAG/IDX in tact be enough since it would have the magic one sound you need. I'm just confused about the system I guess.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
I Wrote:The MIX system works parallely to the BAG system.
Will still work. Wink
Awesome. All I needed to know.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.