Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts abaout ZPatch/SwizzlePatch
myBB 
I saw Bobingabouts wishlist for The ZPatch/Swizzle Patch and I thought about my 'wishes' for this patch. My ideas where more general than Bobingabout and deal with general problems than small ini features like [NewGlobalPrerequisites] or something similar.

This thread is meant as resource for VK if he searches ideas it is not a request to him
  • The most important thing - I think- is a new multiplayer protocol that works with TCP/IP instead of IPX. On all LAN parties we made I guess 70% of all tries to play RA2 or YR failed because of that IPX protocol.
  • YR should have the ability to use custom menu skins or to edit the menu completely, maybe like winamp skins or steam resource files. This would be very useful for modders and would solve the problems which occurred with third campaign button or the deactivated single player campaign button.
  • YR also needs an new server browser. The Internet menus are chaotic, some buttons are useless and you aren't able to see what mods are played
  • Maybe a commandline option to start mods would be useful. Example:
    Code:
    RA2md.exe -game mentalomega
    Again steam as reference.
  • I think it could be usefull to add a plugin system like AdminMod/AMXMod/AMXModX to YR. With these plugins multiplayer games will be much more amazing like it is in Counter-Strike
So that's enough. I guess this changes would make YR a more popular game again, only a 3D engine is missing for a perfect multiplayer game.

What do you think is missing to make this game 'perfect' (better: as perfect as possible)?

//Edit: Spelling mistake
[Image: osen2o7mpmm4jg1fs0.jpg]
Get real...

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
gordon-creAtive Wrote:
  • The most important thing - I think- is a new multiplayer protocol that works with TCP/IP instead of IPX. On all LAN parties we made I guess 70% of all tries to play RA2 or YR failed because of that IPX protocol.
i agree, this could be considered "Vista Support", since it has no IPX/SPX
Quote:
  • YR should have the ability to use custom menu skins or to edit the menu completely, maybe like winamp skins or steam resource files. This would be very useful for modders and would solve the problems which occurred with third campaign button or the deactivated single player campaign button.
whats the point, just mod in some new graphics
Quote:
  • YR also needs an new server browser. The Internet menus are chaotic, some buttons are useless and you aren't able to see what mods are played
this is because the game wasn't designed with mods in mind, however, this would require a lot more modding gamemd.exe...
Quote:
  • Maybe a commandline option to start mods would be useful. Example:
    Code:
    RA2md.exe -game mentalomega
    Again steam as reference.
this is how the conversion started that resulted in marshal making his new mod manager...
Quote:
  • I think it could be usefull to add a plugin system like AdminMod/AMXMod/AMXModX to YR. With these plugins multiplayer games will be much more amazing like it is in Counter-Strike
again, YR wasn't designed for mods... we are basicly abusing the update system.
Quote:if he searches ideas
I don't search any ideas now, because:
1) My brain can generate ideas very well.
2) I don't develop any YR patch in current moment.
3) Please tell your ideas to Microsoft. they need it more than me Smile

Quote: is a new multiplayer protocol that works with TCP/IP instead of IPX.
Do you know what IPX based on TCP/IP?
it's rather easy to install IPX on WinXP systems, but Windows Vista™ don't support it at all.

Quote:YR also needs an new server browser. The Internet menus are chaotic, some buttons are useless and you aren't able to see what mods are played
Originally developed by Westwood, it still designed for Westwood servers, instead of f.cking EAs.

Quote:Maybe a commandline option to start mods would be useful. Example:
Launch Base will allow it better.

Quote:What do you think is missing to make this game 'perfect' (better: as perfect as possible)?
1)Increase a video output speed
2)Move it to true color art.
3)Implement all Westwood ideas, like palettes in VXL files.
4)Implement a COM interfaces, so n00bs in Delphi can add a genius AI.
5)More tags.
6)Unhardcode somethings
7)Add a half of FS

Quote:i agree, this could be considered "Vista Support", since it has no IPX/SPX
This isn't my problem.
Somebody will do a IPX emulation layer under Vista.
So old games, including TS/FS/RA2/YR will use it.

I will just spend a lot of time to write it for one game, while somebody can do it for greater amount of games.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!