Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with creating a certian custom .bat file (for Ares)
Question 
Hallo,

I have created a custom .bat file to launch Ares with, but I have a issue getting it all to work properly.

*I need it to close set affinity for both 'gamemd.exe' and 'Syringe.exe' = works
*Close Explorer.exe and start it again = works
*Set high priority for both 'gamemd.exe' and 'Syringe.exe' = doesn't work

Here's what it looks like:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start /affinity /high 1 Syringe "gamemd.exe" %*
start explorer.exe

The issue is to get both 'gamemd.exe' and 'Syringe.exe' to launch with high priority. But when the .bat file looks like the above, high priority is only set for 'Syringe.exe', not "gamemd.exe".

I tried many different variations of the .bat file that I could try, but I cannot find a solution.

I'd have asked this in the chat if anyone was in it. And didn't think it was worthy of the Ares dedicated forum. Wink

Cheers
Wha? Currently there are 4 people alive on the chat... whatever.

Why do you need to reprioritize Ares?
(13.07.2012, 13:59:01)Graion Dilach Wrote: Wha? Currently there are 4 people alive on the chat... whatever.

Why do you need to reprioritize Ares?

I just was in the chat before making this thread. I was the only one there. Or I'm not seeing them, I do not know.

Does it really matter why? But okay. It's a good solution if someone's PC (at a personally LAN party) got way too much stuff on it running at the same time. And the PC(s) is rather weak, already. It's the easy solution if the PC isn't mine. And don't tell me to tell them to uninstall/clean up their shit. It's their PCs. This solution doesn't mess with any of their stuff.
Looks like you mixed the parameters. Try this one:
start /affinity 1 /high Syringe "gamemd.exe" %*
(13.07.2012, 21:20:37)AlexB Wrote: Looks like you mixed the parameters. Try this one:
start /affinity 1 /high Syringe "gamemd.exe" %*

Oops, thanks, that that was a big mistake. I also forgot to add the '/wait' command.

However, it still only changes priority for Syringe, not gamemd. Bang head against wall

It looks like this now:

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start /affinity 1 /high /wait Syringe "gamemd.exe" %*
start explorer.exe
It looks like Syringe has to explicitly specify the created process priority class:
MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx) Wrote:This parameter also controls the new process's priority class, which is used to determine the scheduling priorities of the process's threads. For a list of values, see GetPriorityClass. If none of the priority class flags is specified, the priority class defaults to NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS<snip>

That sounds like a simple change... but now might not be the best time to introduce more changes.

Administrative Notice:

Moved to Ares General Discussion.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
(15.07.2012, 12:32:03)DCoder Wrote: It looks like Syringe has to explicitly specify the created process priority class:
MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx) Wrote:This parameter also controls the new process's priority class, which is used to determine the scheduling priorities of the process's threads. For a list of values, see GetPriorityClass. If none of the priority class flags is specified, the priority class defaults to NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS<snip>

That sounds like a simple change... but now might not be the best time to introduce more changes.

Administrative Notice:

Moved to Ares General Discussion.

I see. Well, it's possibly only a very few people where changing priority for their games would make sense on their PCs, so making any changes because of it might not make the most sense, oppposed to any unforseen issues it might cause. I just thought the problem was a simple mistake with the texting in the bat file. It's cool. :-)