Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theory about skipping frames
So much of this game's math is based on frames-- I don't see how this would be possible to incorporate and maintain synchronization in multiplayer games. I just don't. How is math based on game frames supposed to be accurate if the processor is having to skip frames without completing the necessary cycles it needs to complete to make the calculations based on those frames it skipped? FPS games (as this is what you are referring to, right?) are allowed to take liberties with the lag scenario for several reasons-- none of which pertain to RTS games, unfortunately. Frame-for-frame synchronization is pretty necessary because RTS games aren't hosted on a master server that tells the players what they should be seeing. Each computer has its own version of the game environment running which is influenced by the information the other computers send them (as in, the commands they give their units), and each computer needs to maintain the EXACT SAME environment or things go haywire fast. If a computer is skipping frames, that's just too large of a possibility for something to go wrong and then BAM! Desync.

Anyways, even if this was possible, it would most likely require such an immense amount of work and would likely introduce an unimaginable amount of bugs into the game... I just don't see enough of a benefit to this to warrant the work and the risk of introducing show-stopping bugs.

Messages In This Thread
Theory about skipping frames - by ¥R M0dd€r - 22.10.2011, 00:23:07
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by WoRmINaToR - 22.10.2011, 03:53:18
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by AlexB - 22.10.2011, 19:47:51
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by AlexB - 24.10.2011, 17:16:09
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by XTF - 25.10.2011, 18:36:20
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by DCoder - 25.10.2011, 19:43:21
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by XTF - 25.10.2011, 19:57:20
RE: Theory about skipping frames - by DCoder - 25.10.2011, 20:32:04