Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Foundations vs. War Factories
Yay, I did my first research! Sort of. I'm pretty sure our coders may figure out more from this subject, but this is already more then an NB in the manual.

OK, well, when I seen 1508, I thought about it. In theory it should be already possible. We have Ares, we have custom foundations. The doc even tells us which cell is the exit one. Renegade mapped this cell to place with shift-click in the CFGen. We even have ExitCoord. What's missing then?

Somebody to try it out and share the results with the public.

So I went for it. My first try was with I-Man's pre-release Allied War Factory on YRArg. It's just a 4x3 building, positioned in canvas to behave like an 5x3 one. So I grabbed the standard WarF codes, cutted that fifth row out from the canvas, set up a custom foundation and started Ares. Surprise, it worked. The unit jumped a bit, but I could fix it by replacing ExitCoord with the Soviet WF's one.

I stopped. This may be a great possibility to conversion creators. But this isn't enough to say it's working. I have to try other orientations.

I asked Cranium to create me a WF for testing purposes, it became a 5x5 pyramid, with exit coords for all 4 ways. I created 4 different buildings, one with standard orientation however totally custom foundation and three 5x5 foundation where the orientation is set to elsewhere. And another testing phase of mine started.

And this was the point where WW's coding style slipped in. The logic whispers that the unit is spawned in ExitCoord then goes directly to Foundation.Outline10. But it's wrong. The unit is spawned on ExitCoord for a frame, checks if Foundation.Outline10 is free/can be freed, if yes, then the unit respawns 2-3 cells north above Foundation.Outline10 and going there.

To see, play it yourself, I attached all of my experimental codes and images. Note that Cranium's SHP is just a quick sketch, only created for my experimental purposes.

In short, we can use custom foundation WFs until we keep the orientation and play with ExitCoord... thereby 1508 is possible in a way.

Attached Files
.zip   CF WarFs.zip (Size: 183.44 KB / Downloads: 411)
Nice. I did same research some time ago too, so i was able to code 4x3 WF for Rewire. Anyway, i could not beat this unit jumping from ExitCoord to "2-cells-north-above F.O 10" but there is something to add: i have relized that SHP units or Vehicle with hover Locomotor are not doing so. :\

Gangster
Sorry for double post.
Quote:i could not beat this unit jumping
Not exactly true. You may set F.O 10 = 5,1 for Building with F.X=4,F.Y=3 but then unit may stuck in WF if you will build something on it by accident.

Graion: http://forums.renegadeprojects.com/showt...2#pid14772

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3