Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD-R2: 1099 vs. 1074, 1147 vs. 1068
For fight one:
LightningRod logic is pretty useful... in Tiberian Sun. However, in YR, how many uses would it have? Weather Storms don't work in the same way as TS's Ion Storms did, you don't have random bolts all over the map, just within a small radius fired from specific clouds. If something like TS's Ion Storm events made a return, or map-wide weather effects were implemented that could benefit from this tag, I could see a use for it. However currently, I don't see much use for it.

The second issue is, admittedly, quite an interesting idea. It could allow for Skirmish players to mix things up a bit more in-game. However, I get the feeling something like this could be hard to program. Additionally, there would need to be a limit programmed so the player doesn't just ally with every single AI on the map and there's no-one left to fight, but that's just common sense. Mechanics like this are usually quite open to abuse in RTS games (ally with all but one AI, kill it, break one alliance, go back to step 2), but in comparison to the previous issue, it seems much more beneficial.

Therefore, my stance is support #1074, kill #1099.

Edit: and I forgot to post anything on fight two.

For fight two:
Kill streaks are a debatable mechanic in FPS games at the best of times, and I really don't see such a thing working that well in RTSs either. I mean, the veterancy system is already there to provide for this sort of thing and it works much better than what is being requested. I think time would be better spent improving it than making something like this. I mean, this is basically just the super weapons on infantry request again, except only for veteran and elite infantry.

I like the second issue. We already have solid buildings, solid units make sense. However, I'm just wondering what the performance hit would be on the game keeping track of all these moving solid blocks. Also, as was already mentioned by someone, given that several infantry can occupy one cell, that would need to be accounted for. However, it could make for some interesting gameplay changes if this were implemented.

My stance here should be pretty obvious given my rant on the first issue - support #1068, kill #1147.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DFD-R2: 1099 vs. 1074, 1147 vs. 1068 - by Nighthawk - 31.07.2010, 19:43:02