Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current EMP logic
I wasn't exactly sure if this place or the bugtracker would be a better place to post this, as it's not exactly a bug, not exactly a feature request. I just want a little more info on how you guys wired up the EMP logic.

I have been testing it around and I noticed that in Ares, as opposed to RockPatch, EMP duration stacks when an EMP'd unit is fired upon by another EMP-inducing warhead. Do you currently have any way to work around/disable this? If so, that would be great because the EMP duration stacking interferes with my current EMP behaviours, as I am trying to get a weapon that continuously keeps a unit under EMP effect, but if it stops firing its EMP weapon (with a ROF of 10, EMP duration of 15; this worked perfectly in RockPatch), the EMP effect dissipates immediately on that unit.

(also please don't say make EMP duration equal to ROF value, because that has its own share of problems)
If there isn't a way to disable this, I suppose I'll post it in the bugtracker as a request.

Also, I have noticed that EMP tags do not get parsed on shrapnel projectiles. For instance, if I fire an EMP prism tank-like laserbeam that shrapnels into a bunch of smaller lasers with EMP tags on them, only the parent beam will induce EMP; the smaller beams will not. Is this by design, or accident?
EMP duration stacking was by design. Shrapnel failures weren't, and I have a hunch they'll be ignoring quite a few other warhead flags too... that I will look at.

Note that the current EMP implementation is crap leftover from Westwood's TS code, full of limitations. We have plans to rewrite it from scratch, but I'm not sure if disabling duration stacking will happen...

(Oh, and congrats on finding the test Wink )

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
well since the EMP logic here works better than that of NPatch, I will see what I can do about removing the no-longer-needed shrapnel weapon logics (for some reason with NPatch you couldn't have a weapon do damage and EMP at the same time; it was one or the other), but it would still be nice if you could look into at least some special-case way to disable/not induce the duration stacking when you do that rewrite in the future. I hate sounding like I'm demanding, but it really is a necessity for my mod's EMP feature to function properly. Maybe consider it more like a "please with a cherry on top?" kinda of thing Tongue 2

and congrats for finding the Ares test build you mean? well it wasn't exactly a secret; there are links to it everywhere in the [[edited]]... Tongue 2