Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Ares, Probabilities, the Future and the State of the Community
Quote:If the community truly "lol[s] at Ares due to the way it's developed", then I am more than proven in my suspicion that the majority of modders today is simply too dumb for Ares.

Except you completely misunderstood me. They laugh at Ares because modding is a hobby, and the Ares development treats it like a job. They're not gonna bother with Ares because it's not a fun process; incomplete feedback is often dealt with harshly and big community requests often never seem to get any feedback from developers (in the case of air guard mode and custom palettes for animations). It's not hard to find examples of this, the bug tracker is open to the public and the massive arguments that have occurred, on occasion, over them because someone merely stated a bad idea.

And in my personal stance between the battlefield, Ares development can be complicated at times. I can't test Chrono Prisons because I have no fucking clue how they were implemented. Sure, there's an Abductor= tag for weapons but what else is needed? Had I any time between jobs, I would have asked on the Bug Tracker. However, this was more testing in a 5 minute period and I realized half of the things implemented in Ares aren't really explained well when they're in development. For instance, I remember testing the radar jammer feature with no real idea on how to implement it on a unit until Reaperrr posted the tag after delving into the .dll with a Resource Editor.

Quote:If not developing like a bunch of drunk monkeys with no understanding of quality is a laughing matter to the community, I rather doubt they'll be capable of using Ares effectively anyway, only substantiating that we're wasting our time.

This is the kind of attitude that detracts people from using Ares. When you have lead developers insulting people for their preference over how they want to enjoy their hobby, why should they bother coming to something like Ares? The attitude that "we're better than VK at coding because we have about the same attitude but an injection system" isn't really what people want to see.

Quote:It's understandable, though...the comprehensive manual, with the list of over 160 bugfixes and features in 0.1 alone, can be a little overwhelming. No comparison to NPatch's "manual".

And at PPM, native English speakers have had issues understanding the "comprehensive" documentation. At times, I've even had difficulties determining exactly what I'm supposed to do due to the language usage in the documentation. Let's not also forget that not everyone who mods speaks perfect fluent English, and the level of proficiency needed to use the documentation can be quite intimidating.
Leader of Soviet Dawn: Incursion. Representative of the CnC Guild, moderator and PR staff. Go make the Guild alive!

Messages In This Thread
RE: On Ares, Probabilities, the Future and the State of the Community - by Modder666 - 07.11.2010, 06:59:54