Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of Rock Patch
Rock Patch project is closed.

But Rock Patch don't die.
you can still use RP 1.07b, RP 1.08, RP 1.08 SE in your mod.

RockPatch existed 2,5 year, since begining of 2005.
And now (09.06.2007) Rock Patch project closed.
The main reason of it: More impossible develop Rock Patch technically.

Engine can't handle more resources than now.
Engine contain some code from 1994 year.
Engine can't use all systems resources, so we must have a low speed.

Now or three months later, or year later... doesn't matter.
For example: now in patch a lot of memory leaks, always some problems with save/load code.
at the end, will happen some moment, when RockPatch will start a self-destruction process.
However, this is reality.

Two days later I had an idea: Why I didn't start my engine a year ago?
If I had started it a year ago, now we would have rather perfect engine.
Because I can write C++ (even ASM code) code in 1-1000 times faster.
I want to start my engine/game at this summer.

Planned:
*2D as in RA
*mod-friendly (INI files such RULES.INI & ART.INI, error output)
*MIX files with LZMA compression
*Images on PNG format based
*A good speed
*Faster than YR
*32-bit color
*Multi-OS (using system layer code for each OS)

Rock Patch 1.10 no longer available for free use.
Possible, I will use it in my mod (The fate of war)
RPCE & RPCE74 is still available, because MO 2.0b is using it.
Possible, I will give an exclusive permission to Speeder.
ARM forever - x86 sucks!

Shame that it had to come to a stop like this, but it's VK's decision and I respect it.
I would not talk about "the end" though.

Some people (there weren't many) knew that I was working on what I wanted to call "RockPatch2" which is virtually bug-free, though I rarely worked on it and so it never got to a releasable state.
Whether this "RockPatch2" has a future, I don't know yet.

Also, similar to VK's plans, I was/am working on a YR recreation.
I have serious problems with mouse<->map interaction though as well as a few other problems.
@VK:
My engine can load and display csf, ini, pal, shp (with shadows and remap), tmp and yrm files at its current state. It is based on SDL and OpenGL.
If you like, I can send my current source to you, maybe it can speed up things significantly.
I suppose you want to work with DirectX. Porting my OpenGL engine to DirectX shoudln't be too hard, as I use OpenGL for drawing and positioning only (code parts that can easily be adapted).

I know VK isn't the best project leader/manager (no offense here but you see what happened, please do not flame about this statement any longer), he is a great programmer and I bet if anyone could make a decent YR recreation, he's the one.
Also, since he works very intensively, we could expect (just an estimation) a playable version in maybe a year.

Well, let there be peace for a while here so that everything and everyone can calm down.
Then we see further.
[Image: jsfml.png]
Hm. I knew this will come. It was a nice tool, still it IS a nice tool, well no one will fix bugs anymore and blablabla, in fact, it's not ideal.

But don't blame, in fact, pd is right - VK done many things for the Patch itself, and he worked on it after pd resigned. This speaks for him, and god may pray.

There's nothing else to say... Perhaps one thing:
Is it allowed to use RP 1.10 in a mod? Well, I don't make TMC public downloadable anywhere in the Net, so I think, why not. But it's better to ask.

Don't stop at your engine project VK!

Mfg
Striker
Well there goes my mod. 2 years for nothing. Your a great guy, you know that? At least let us use 1.10 for christs sake, too hard to go back now after I have been introducing your now waste of time tag renaming and fagging around.
Unhappy

Quote:Engine can't handle more resources than now.
Engine contain some code from 1994 year.
Engine can't use all systems resources, so we must have a low speed.
Thats bad.

I realy hope your new engine will be finish, I not lying, good luck.

Just a little question are you going to make a 100% new gamemd? or a huge edit of the currect one?
Oh no, oh no, oh no, my mod will go boom, cmon what's with letting us use 1.10, it's not like we're going to blow it up from the inside. We wanted 1.10, so please let us use it.
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
But I really wanted that Upgrade SW! And the Iron Curtian tag!

I really did, but I don't need them. RockPatch is as complete as it needs, we have unlimited superwepons, 32 sides (not countries, sides) and a 250 unit limit. We have the AACombat tag, and a fire SW, new Missile Types, and DropPods. All this is what a majority of the Community hoped, wished, dreamed, and begged for. PD, jonwil and CnCVK gave us this. Our dreams were furfilled. They gave us what we wanted, and for that we should thank them.

Thanks PD, jonwil and VK!
Godsun333 here.. iam really sorry to see RP go.. but please for anyones sake let us use the current 1.10 RP or such? so all the work you have used so far is not lost. So anyone wont have to go to another game. Anyways good luck with the engine.
But I need the Iron Curtain tag. NEED it.
Albert Einstein Wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
off-topic
Quote:32 sides (not countries, sides)
is this ture?

Quote:250 unit limit
this also?
Sometimes VK add future without I even know it like SuperAnim tag
Very nice!! modding a lot of time wasted for nothing? Bang head against wall
Under what distribution license was distributed RockPach all this time? o_O
[Image: cncr_beta_download_2.png]
5 different armies: GDI, Nod, Allies, Soviets & Yuri... & converted TS Terrain!!
Bang head against wall
pd Wrote:Some people (there weren't many) knew that I was working on what I wanted to call "RockPatch2" which is virtually bug-free, though I rarely worked on it and so it never got to a releasable state.
Whether this "RockPatch2" has a future, I don't know yet.
Yes! Please work on RockPatch2 PD! Tongue Just because the first patch has died, doesn't mean another can't rise from its ashes! Smile

But I still have RP 1.10 0036 Smile So I'm happy
[Image: cabal_sig_2.png]
Proud supporter of Xeno, the Revora Juggernauts, and PDF
Well on one hand it sucks that we cant publicly use RP 1.10 #36 in our mods Unhappy

and on the other I cant wait to see what happens with CnCVK/PD working on a new Yuri like game engine Big Grin

So basicly we are not losing a patch we are gaining a game engine Smile

CnCVK Wrote:Planned:
*2D as in RA
*mod-friendly (INI files such RULES.INI & ART.INI, error output)
*MIX files with LZMA compression
*Images on PNG format based
*A good speed
*Faster than YR
*32-bit color
*Multi-OS (using system layer code for each OS)

All of this sounds great espeacialy the RA 2D Thumbs up

Please keep us informed on this Big Grin 2
Rock Patch 2 would be an awesome idea.

Now, for those interested on a new engine, check this out:
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/index.php?f=449