Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336
For fight one:
IFV logic is quite a versatile tool if it's used properly, and keeping such a thing confined to the realms of VehicleTypes does seem a bit silly. Besides, the amount of people wanting to recreate that IFV base defense from RA3 is probably quite large.

Turrets that change based on amount of available spawns could be a nice piece of eye candy, but compared to a gameplay enhancement like IFV logic expansion, it just doesn't capture my imagination.

This seems to have came down to basically a gameplay enhancement over an eye-candy enhancement. I'm a coder by trade, not a voxeller or SHP maker, so it should be obvious which way my stance will go - support #603, kill #1114.

For fight two:
The first issue really does just sound like a time-limited version of the Mind Control logic. While I could see something like this getting some usage with, for example, some kind of "Bribe" super weapon, the second issue is much more appealing to me.

Now, I know I said I don't do SHP making... well, that was a bit of an exaggeration. I don't do infantry or buildings or anything like that, but I do make cameos. As Renegade has said in previous DFD arguments, have you ever tried creating a localisation for a mod? Going through about 30 to 40 cameos in SHP Builder just to change their text is a major time-waster. Even if you don't localise your mods, how often have you had to go and change your cameo art just because part of it doesn't seem right? For some, that can involve tracking down a textless version of the cameo you've been working on (God help you if you didn't save one and you need to alter part that may be covered by the text bar), making alterations, going back into SHP Builder and adding the text, re-saving, and re-packing into a MIX. It takes a lot of time if you're doing this 30 times over! With using TS's cameo text feature, that would cut out needing to use the irritating cameo generator in SHP Builder and re-do your text every time you edit a few pixels. It would also simplify localisations immensely. Rather than edit 30 to 40 cameos, you simply have to change some strings.
And for those who say "What's the point? YR doesn't have blank cameos!", Carnivean and Xeno made a textless cameo pack a while ago with just about every RA2 and YR cameo in it. Go look for it on PPM.

My stance should be obvious - support #336, kill #601.

Edit: Additional usage case for #336. Anyone using the new ability to have PCX cameos will either have to do a lot of work in Photoshop or whatever to get their text in the same format as the game, or run them through the SHP Builder's cameo generator anyway, thus reducing the quality, limiting the palette and defeating the purpose. Also, if you don't use RA2's cameo style (I know that TC mods like to veer away from it), re-texting up to 50 cameos can be a hell of a lot of work because SHP Builder's cameo generator is useless for your purposes.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.

Messages In This Thread
DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336 - by Renegade - 11.08.2010, 01:47:53
RE: DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336 - by Nighthawk - 11.08.2010, 13:55:56
RE: DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336 - by Blade - 11.08.2010, 14:20:04
RE: DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336 - by mt. - 11.08.2010, 19:04:04
RE: DFD-R3: 603 vs. 1114, 601 vs. 336 - by DCoder - 18.08.2010, 18:18:32