Not Ares Anymore
Posts: 1 755
Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Troubleshooting IEs, freezes and other problems
If you get an IE
- look in the game's folder
- open the debug subfolder
- find extcrashdump.<timestamp>.dmp , except.<timestamp>.txt and debug.<timestamp>.log with the most recent timestamps
- zip them up
- upload the archive somewhere
- open a new issue in the bugtracker about it, link to the archive and try to add a description of what you were doing
If you get a freeze and no IE
dialog is visible:
- Check in Task Manager/taskbar - is the process still named "Yuri's Revenge" or "Fatal Error - Yuri's Revenge"?
- If it's the latter, the "do you want to make a memory dump" dialog is most likely just hidden somewhere/invisible. Try returning back into the game and hitting Enter. That should result in the same files as getting an IE.
- If it's the former,
- don't terminate the game.
- Go to http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy , download Very Sleepy, install it
- run it, attach it to gamemd.exe (choose whichever thread is shown as eating all the CPU), go back to the game, wait a few (5+) seconds, go back to the profiler, tell it to stop profiling
- save the resulting log file
- terminate the game via Task Manager
- open a new issue in the bugtracker, attach the saved log file + debug.<timestamp>.txt and any other information you can think of
- The same info applies when you get a simple slowdown, but here you don't need to terminate the game manually I suppose.