Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DCoder should... -- [split] Graphics wizardry
Ares need one feature to dominate, and that is a complete lag/slowdown removal.
I dont know if what DCoder wrote on the first post if this thread is about lag removal or not, but I realy think that DCoder should use all his time to fix it. F*ck other features this is what is keeping the game going!

Fixing some small random YR bug is like installing turbo to a broken car
Only one thing remove all lagz and slowdowns - full rewrite render engine to OpenGL or D3D Wink
(22.05.2009, 00:59:31)Guest Wrote: Ares need one feature to dominate, and that is a complete lag/slowdown removal.
I dont know if what DCoder wrote on the first post if this thread is about lag removal or not, but I realy think that DCoder should use all his time to fix it. F*ck other features this is what is keeping the game going!

Fixing some small random YR bug is like installing turbo to a broken car

Tell him why it lags would help? XD
yep, the cause would help big time..
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
We know the cause there is more than one.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
but why does the game get slow downs? ok 1vs1 is fine but if you have like 2vs2 or 3vs3 the game fucks up
Quote:but why does the game get slow downs?
Because something uses up system resources. Online it's netcode, the fact 1v1 you have 2 connections 1-2 and 2-1, 2v2 you-ve got a LOAD more.
1-2
1-3
1-4
2-1
2-3
2-4
3-1
3-2
3-4
4-1
4-2
4-3
You went from 2 internet connnections to 12, that's what'll cause your internet slowdowns as I see it (I'm no expert but the fact you've gotta connect to more people is right).
(25.05.2009, 16:58:33)Guest Wrote: but why does the game get slow downs? ok 1vs1 is fine but if you have like 2vs2 or 3vs3 the game fucks up
Like I said, there are numerous reasons and it's not just graphical voodoo either. That is a substantial portion of it with animations, particle effects, transparency and all that. Then you also must take into account all other game processing that it must do behind the scenes and the one that eats up the resources most is AI pathfinding.

Then as noted below, computer specs also have a lot to do with it as well. If you're playing against one person who's on a laptop, which are generally 5400RPM drives, the game will go slower.

So, I say again, DCoder cannot just magically "make the game faster."

(25.05.2009, 18:32:13)Lt Albrecht Wrote: Because something uses up system resources. Online it's netcode, the fact 1v1 you have 2 connections 1-2 and 2-1, 2v2 you-ve got a LOAD more.
1-2
1-3
1-4
2-1
2-3
2-4
3-1
3-2
3-4
4-1
4-2
4-3
You went from 2 internet connnections to 12, that's what'll cause your internet slowdowns as I see it (I'm no expert but the fact you've gotta connect to more people is right).
You're almost right. Given that most people play on high-speed connections, the amount of them is a fairly moot speed. No, the lag online comes from people with varying computer statistics like hard drive speed, CPUs and, to a lesser extent, their GPU.
I am not talking about online, mather fact, we are 3st online players with 100mbit, big bases and alot of tanks, the lag is almost zero.

I am talking about when I am playing against a computer player

by the way my computer is powerful so YR should lag one singe frame. There should always be 100fps
By the way I play online with UDP DLL and Hamachi. its mutch better than IPX or whatever the other method is
My machine is well beyond YR's recommended requirements and it still lags but I cut down on that with a couple of things I have. The large part of lag, as we've discovered previously, has to do with DirectDraw and it being hardware enabled, whereas Yuri's Revenge wants to handle all graphical voodoo instead of letting something else take over. I label it akin to DirectDraw fighting YR for control and then it lags.

The easiest way to clip lag is to add VideoBackBuffer=no to the [Video] section of ra2(md).ini.
That seems to be the most universal method for at least attempting to alleviate YR's lagginess.
Lazy Dupl3xxx

An other way of removing a lot of lag is to open the Art(md).ini and change "transparent=yes" to no. use the "replace" feature in notepad. Now all animations will not slow down the game that much... But 8 players on a 250x200 map with details will still be slow in general. No lag though....Try the transparency thing with debris. Use a value of 40++ on debris. with and without transparency. Be amazed Big Grin
Speaking of translucent anims, I had significant lag even on my monster PC when an aircraft was crashed over a Firestorm Wall - its explosion anim was being generated each frame it spent on a firewalled cell. Fun.

Modifications like some of you are suggesting cannot reasonably happen quickly, after all the graphics subsystem is tightly integrated with everything else...

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3