Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crate goodies
Rewrite the crate bonus logic. Discuss.

Sorry, bob. Not going to post them elsewhere, bugtracker is where they belong.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
your ideas sounds good. but snice this is about crates. have you notice it is sometimes buggy? Today I played me & me cusin vs some AI. We both took many crates. It was impossible for me to get a free unit. but he got many free units. This happens to me many times. Wired.
I'd really like to see the "squad" powerup back, have the game give you a random squad straight out of AI.INI, but it may need a "crategoodie=yes" tag in teamtypes you want to include....

The only other crate bonus I can think of is to fire a specified weapon/warhead at the cell the crate is on.

With the new "Iron Curtain" weapon, and so on, it's pretty easy to get a large amount of cool crate bonus' such as ore, gas (be it chaos, virus or custom) and could even be used in campaigns to a degree.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
I keep telling people, the crate's content is determined when you pick it up, not before. So deviations in odds are unlikely.

Except where there are rules that say a player can't get a cetain crate - in which case they are given money instead, I always find this annoying.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
(11.10.2008, 06:54:23)DCoder Wrote: I keep telling people, the crate's content is determined when you pick it up, not before. So deviations in odds are unlikely.

I thought you could customise what was in each crate in campaign mode?
In campaign, yes you can. In other modes, no. Don't think that's what TheMan was playing though Tongue

Some CrateGoodie tags are Hardcoded, in a logical way. This should be removed. ie. When you set crategoodie to no on a harvesters, the logic still tells you can get one in a Crate, resulting you can get one no matter what. Same goes for money i believe.
in my survivor, and commander game modes, ore miners are edited out to be CrateGoodie=no, I get loads of crates in that mode, having a stealth command tank can be useful, not to mention getting loads of free tanks, and i don't get any of the tanks i've set to no, not even ore miners, so i don't know what you're talking about, guest.
Indeed, the only hard-coded override is money (and override money crates contain a different amount of credits to the actual money crate)
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Actually, it's more complex than that...

(Assuming NOT campaign mode):

Preprocessing:
If you have > 1500 $, 0 buildings and don't have any instances of the first BaseUnit= you can normally acquire, the game forces the crate to contain that BaseUnit.

If you have > 50 VehicleTypes and random luck gave you a Free Unit, the game changes it to Money.

If you have > 100 InfantryTypes and got a Squad, the game changes it to Money. (Keep reading...)

If you still are supposed to get a Free Unit, and you picked that crate up in a water/beach cell, it is changed to Money.

If the result was an Armor Multiplier, and the collector's Armor has already been multiplied, it's changed to Money.

If it was a Promotion, and the collector is not Trainable or already Elite, yep, Money.

If it was a Speed Multiplier, and the collector's Speed has already been multiplied or it was collected by an Aircraft, you get Money.

Firepower Multiplier falls back to Money if the collector has no weapons or has already received its Firepower Multiplier.

Cloak device collected by an already cloakable unit changes to Money.

If you collected the crate on a water (unlike above, beach doesn't count) cell and the powerup is not naval per [Powerups], it falls back to Money again.

If you got a Squad, it's unconditionally changed to Money.

If the game already forced your crate to contain the baseunit for base rebuilding purposes but you can't have any BaseUnit via ownership limits, OR the crate was supposed to be a Free Unit and still is, yet you have at least one of the two first objects listed in [AI]BuildRefinery= but don't have any of the first two objects in [General]HarvesterUnit= , the crate is forced to contain the first HarvesterUnit you can normally get.
Then, if UnitCrateType is not null, the crate is overridden with that Unit regardless of the former checks.
If that _still_ doesn't yield a good Unit, it rolls dice over the [VehicleTypes] list until it finds one that is CrateGoodie=yes (and if the collector is AI, not listed in BaseUnit= UNLESS the AI has no base left).

Effects:
Crate of Cloaking Device simply cloaks all units on the ground within its radius.

Crates of Explosives/Napalm simply fire the [CombatDamage] C4Warhead/FlameDamage warheads at that point with as much damage as the ini specifies. Explosives also produces the flash of light.

Crates of Squad, Invulnerability, IonStorm do nothing.

Crates of Darkness reshroud the map, Reveal reveals it all.

Crates of Armor/Speed/Firepower multiply the respective attributes of all units on the ground within its radius if they don't already have that multiplier applied.

Crate of ICBM gives you one shot of the first SW with the Action=Nuke on the list.

Veterancy simply promotes units in its radius. No check for Trainable= though...

Gas creates 8 shots of the [GAS] warhead around the cell.

Tiberium crate picks a random [Tiberiums] entry (if it's the second one, it gets reset to first) and spawns its first frame around the cell.

If placement of the Free Unit fails or crate is Money, collector gets a random amount of cash between what the ini specifies and that+900.

Quote:If you have > 50 VehicleTypes and random luck gave you a Free Unit, the game changes it to Money.
that explain my problem. I gues its hardcoded? damn Unhappy
well, that explains why you get miners and i don't, its hardcoded to give you them only if you own an allied or soviet refinery.
Actually i have gotten an Ore miner when not having them.. In a Crate-base gamemode i made a long time ago, when you couldnt build any buildings at all.

Ill try to dig up the code for it for Confirmation if you want to.

Chrisse
SO (now I know how it works)

Re-Enable Squad & Invulnerability

Instead of defaulting to money, make the game re-decide what to give you from crates, or remove the limits completely.

Better yet, similar to the secret lab rewrite, make it so certain countries cannot get certain units from crates.

Have the ability to fire certain weapons at the current cell (this could theoretically re-enable the "ion storm" special too)

Check to see if that unit/side had already received certain bonus' there's nothing more irritating than grabbing 3 "reveal map" crates just after you've built a spysat.