Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Patch <-> Mod Patch
Haha, this is funny.
This is exactly what I talked about to TSHyper today.

I'm thinking about splitting it into 3 categories, ordered by the respective "target group".

1) The "end user" version
For people you find at CnCNZ, PlanetCnC, and those who aren't active in forums but just play the game.
This version will include my new game mode, RMG improvements and several other fixes and things.
I'll be looking into getting this promoted by Apoc in some way, if there is any way to contact him. Maybe I'll have to ask Banshee to do that for me, as he doesn't seem to read e-mails or PMs by people he doesn't know...

The end user group is a group I've never targeted so far, so this might be a whole new experience for me.
I understand that majority of the community consists of end users, and that I have to do extensive testing of the provided features.

2) The modder version
Developed under the classical RockPatch philosophy, adds new modding possibilities to the game.
It will include new SW types, new side logics, new/overhauled logics in general... well... I don't think I have to say more about it. Wink

3) The programmer version
Basically, this is what I'm doing right now, the development of YR++, the C++ wrapper for the game, documentations, examples and code snippets (including custom classes).

---
These 3 groups form a kind of hierachy, the programmers (which can be modders as well) develop toys for the modders, the modders produce mods for the end users.
That's why I agree to gordon-creAtive, it does make sense to split the project up into these parts.

However, something some people might not approve due to "historical" reasons or whatever, I'd really love to get rid of the name "RockPatch".
It was a random idea that I quickly made up back when I created the first hacks and needed a name for it that is somehow memorizable.

Firstly, that name sucks badly, secondly, the DLLs are technically no patch.
Alas, I need name ideas.
I remember talked to Renegade once thinking about names of Greek gods. If we could find fitting ones, this might be a cool thing.
I need names for the end user version, for the modder version, and for the Debugger (currently called Debugger.exe, which sounds virus-suspicious IMO).

The programmer version has already found the name YR++ thanks to gordon. Smile
[Image: jsfml.png]

Messages In This Thread
User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by gordon-creAtive - 10.01.2008, 21:36:35
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by pd - 10.01.2008, 23:49:10
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by Blade - 11.01.2008, 00:17:38
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by Renegade - 11.01.2008, 03:26:31
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by Marshall - 11.01.2008, 15:45:28
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by pd - 11.01.2008, 20:09:33
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by Marshall - 11.01.2008, 22:39:55
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by Bachsau - 02.03.2008, 13:41:57
RE: User Patch <-> Mod Patch - by pd - 02.03.2008, 13:53:02