Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526
For fight one:
Hmm, both of these are rather good issues, and personally I'd rather see both implemented. But things don't work like that. Now, the first issue. This is a bug which even cripples Westwood's own AI coding. The AI will deploy an MCV, yes. But if you give it any other vehicle to deploy (even the Siege Chopper, which the AI has been given a script to do this with) it'll just sit there and look confused. This perhaps isn't as overt an addition as others, and will probably have no effect for those who don't code AI, but for anyone that does and has deploying units, something like this could be a godsend.

Different stealth types is also something I've been wanting to see for ages. Why should your radar tower's aerial sensors be able to pick up submarines off the coast? Why should your naval sonar tower's sensors be able to pick up that stealth tank parked in the grove of trees outside your base? Why should a dog be able to detect submarines?? This would finally allow modders to distinguish units between being underwater and being true stealth units. You could also have units with more powerful cloaking devices, that can in turn only be detected by more powerful sensor arrays.

It's a tough choice, but I'm going to have to go with support #525, kill #404.

For fight two:
This is also a difficult choice. But for entirely different reasons, not that both issues are brilliant, but that both are rather "meh". For the first issue, how many people actually use sounds on SuperAnimFour? Surely attaching a StartSound and Report to another SuperAnim that plays at the same time could accomplish the same effect? The player's not suddenly going to go "Oh no, I can tell that sound was triggered by that flashing radar dish there and not that small blinking light there! This mod is a travesty!". And if you have sounds on every SuperAnim already, merge the audio into one of the sounds of another. It'll accomplish the same effect unless you have rather different volumes and stuff for each sound.

I'm still struggling to find a use for this "phased" logic. Unless it's used absolutely perfectly and there's some kind of simple way a player could swap units between dimensions, this could just unnecessarily overcomplicate gameplay.

While I can't think of many uses for it, I'll still support #526, kill #1069, solely because I think it'll get more use than the SuperAnimFour issue.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.

Messages In This Thread
DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526 - by Renegade - 11.08.2010, 01:34:38
RE: DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526 - by Nighthawk - 11.08.2010, 14:39:24
RE: DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526 - by Blade - 11.08.2010, 14:41:49
RE: DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526 - by AlexB - 01.09.2010, 11:53:42
RE: DFD-R3: 404 vs. 525, 1069 vs. 526 - by DCoder - 03.10.2010, 20:37:13