Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brotherhood. Unity. EA?
Hmm... nice discussion here. As Renegade said, and I agree, all EA moves were for business purposes only.

A lesson I've learnt with PPM is that what makes the community is the community.

So, it's natural that the community, once developped, becomes much more creative than the game developpers.

- Community made XWIS, EA made it official by adding the legal crap, paying the servers, redirecting WOL traffic and serial number check (although this one existed before EA touch their fingers there, but it became more developped with EA). Of course, it comes with a price. Since traffic is much higher now, the server is slow and people are starting to use Hamachi and other alternatives now.

- EA used community sites and events to promote the First Decade. I admit that, as webmaster, I kinda had the feeling that I was used with this event (and I really was, lol... although no one was more used there than CNC King and Sonic, from CNCNZ who organized everything), but all webmasters who participated from that event were bought with an uber EA gift pack box to provide prizes for their contests. It was a win win situation, although EA won much more than anyone else.

- I'm not looking foward to The First Decade package. Maybe that will bring more visitors for PPM, but I see nothing new there. Even the fact that these games will now run with XP... I have XP here and I run everything with no problems at all. And.. they say it comes with some extra 'making of' or 'fan goodies' at the DVD, but... we've probably seen much more in the community sites than we'll ever see there. The only thing that makes me think about the possibility of maybe buying that thing is that it comes with Yuri's Revenge. I have two pcs here and only one YR copy. Using a no cd crack is good for lazy people, but I can't play rock patch related mods.

- The Zero Hour patches were good. But they used a lot of community work. Most of the assets from ACETON team was used in 1.03, including the Aurora Alpha model. EA only compiled the files there and wrote the documentation. Then, it was up to the community to test the bugs and after some good set of emails, they've made a fix (1.04) and took one month to release it.

Quote:Would you kindly tell me what exactly a person qualifies as a "community leader"?

Apparently, I was qualified as a RTS community leader not because of PPM or Revora. It was because of the Open Map Competition event. Maybe they might know anything about PPM or Revora today, I'm not really sure if they know these places exist... specially Revora that hosts the highest ammount of C&C and BfME mods and sites than any other C&C or BfME community hosted in the history of these games.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Renegade - 22.01.2006, 20:58:27
[No subject] - by C&C_is_my_way_of_life - 24.01.2006, 04:40:57
[No subject] - by DCoder - 23.01.2006, 16:39:05
[No subject] - by Whiteboy - 25.01.2006, 10:02:01
[No subject] - by Banshee - 01.02.2006, 02:48:28