Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, the question popped up
(06.01.2012, 00:26:17)Guest Wrote: Add a donate button, raise money to hire a programmer to do exactly that.
ROFL LOL
Have you seen the news thread?
After all the bitching in here, all the insistence of the oh-so-great importance to and support by the community, there were exactly three comments by non-team members, all of them by people who had posted in this thread before.
Not just that, but even though everybody in here demanded updates and was crying to know what was going on, it took almost 29 hours for a non-team member to comment on the news post they were so desperately fighting for, and by now, the thread's been dead for almost two days.

To put it differently: The exact same people who fought for having a news post could barely bring themselves to acknowledge it once they had it, and no one else gave any indication they even cared.
The only acknowledgement on PPM, for example, was also posted by a team member of us.

...and you're telling me not only to put up a donation button, but to hire a goddamn programmer from the donations? You're delusional.
I'd get more donations parking my ass downtown and asking random strangers for money.

I mean, look at you: You actually cared enough to post, which makes you part of a very, very small minority, and yet, you couldn't even be arsed to enter a nickname, let alone to properly quote the post you were replying to.

You are a thousand percent more active than the overwhelmingly large majority of the community, and you still only did the utterly bare minimum required to make your point. And you want me to believe we'd make the several thousand dollars in donations necessary to hire a programmer?

"Unlikely" would be more than an understatement.

(06.01.2012, 00:26:17)Guest Wrote: Personally I never use chats because either a) they're so fast it's impossible to keep up (hyper-active chats) or b) they're deader than a burnt tree. I've never met a middle ground.
Well, it is how it is - you can either follow a conversation when it happens, or wait for the summary to appear.
If you choose, on your very own accord, not to do the former, then you have only yourself to blame for being out of the loop.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Oh for crying out glayvin.

if something updates rarely, how often will you check it. passionate about it or not?

because after the 300th time or so, it begins to get boring*

*yes this is an exaggeration for effect

why check something if things are rarely posted?

it's an "author of your own downfall" kind of thing, and, while i'm sorry it's reached this point, the damage may already be done.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
Bitching without solution is fail. That is all.
FormerAres Documentation Manager
Nobody here but us trees...
Graion Dilach Wrote:Worm, you know this guy is an American lawyer of some sort.
Giggle Good one!
(07.01.2012, 05:19:39)MRMIdAS Wrote: Oh for crying out glayvin.

if something updates rarely, how often will you check it. passionate about it or not?

because after the 300th time or so, it begins to get boring*

*yes this is an exaggeration for effect

why check something if things are rarely posted?

it's an "author of your own downfall" kind of thing, and, while i'm sorry it's reached this point, the damage may already be done.
Oh please - as if you people didn't talk among each other. Rolling eyes
Either way, Firefox has supported "live bookmarks" for a long, long time, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of free feed readers out there, so it's not like anyone would actually have to visit to check the news.

Excuses and denial, ending in victim-blaming, are all I'm seeing here.

To answer your direct question, to show you how it connects to my response: I put it in my feed reader. It's that simple. I have a bunch of stuff that I care about that gets updated irregularly and infrequently (some blogs in particular), yet I never miss an update - because I care enough to make sure I don't.
I have yet to see that amount of care from the community. All I'm getting so far is silence and lame excuses for the silence.

It's not like I even blame you. After all, you are here and at least kinda-sorta participating. I just wish people like you would stop the delusion and the pretense and start seeing reality for what it is - because communication and understanding between developers and community would be a lot easier if we were coming from the same base.

The way it is, we are working with the community we can see, and you are expecting work for a community that's only in your head. That's bound to leave you disappointed.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
There seems to be a .. gap in the community and PPM people don't tend to wonder over here to much.
This place does seem abit hidden away compared to the the likes of PPM, the lack of updates probably don't help draw attention that Ares deserves. (i couldnt even find a link to the forum on the main page but maybe thats just me).
I think pd was spot on with what he said, I also respect the fact that you do not want to release a buggy product, but I think in releasing 0.2 as a buggy Alpha or wtever, modders will use it, find bugs and the post them up (probably on PPM unless u.. and ppm push the new bug tracking system.. but I think this would just fall into place, people would almost be forced to report bugs and do it properly to continue on with there mods). I think this project mainly needs more of a spotlight and with people using it, this would happen.
Like I said there seems to be a gap in the community, if the modders and Ares could gel more it would help, but I think I covered that in the above.

Furthermore as you are probably aware, TS Rewire (http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-rewire) is a mod using Ares (relying on Ares) to port over Tiberian Sun to RA2 engine. TS still has a busy modding scene, especially considering its age and is the most popular game that is modded over at PPM. I think if you were to finish off implementing the last few TS logics to Ares (impressive what you have achieved already btw). Many more modders would flock over to use RA2 and Ares as there game base instead of the aged Tiberian Sun.

You may not see it or it may not be apparent how u would prefer, but everyone who mods (TS and RA2/YR) to any serious degree has there eye on Ares. Congratulations on what you have achieved already, but I think Ares has much more to offer and people just dont even realise it.

P.S. I think the manual should be part of the website