Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed development of YR 1.002 Community Patch
Guest;date=Jan 26 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:I vote nothing "nothing", if you start adding pack maps (i.e. assault Map Packs and TX) this will look more a "mini-mod" and not a "Patch"...? :blink:

Could be better only do a patch to enable things (a little file size) & with tutorials explain how use the new code in your ini files & what new graphic files will be required for the new things & if modders wish include assault maps or TX compatible maps (or another type of theme/file/pack/stuff/...) if their problem (i.e. for Total Conversions could only be necessary the patch & not the rest of graphics/Game Modes/New Maps).

This is my idea of a "Patch" (a file of 5KB or 150KB or 589KB or a bit more with the minium to work & not a file of 5MB or 10MB or more of "patch+gift" )

PD: sorry by my english? :unsure:
[right][snapback]117[/snapback][/right]

TX is different than simple map packs because it's actually an adition to the terrain. So, I think you could add the new terrain options there... even if people would need to make the maps or download them from an external source.
The following is a message from Cannis, hopefully some of you can understand the details, especially pd who might be able to do something about the exe in this respect:

CannisRabidus Wrote:Many of the issues could be avoided depending on what is changed in the exe, which you are suggesting would be changed as well.

1) read string files from MIX files, also read multiple string files, rather than just one. So, a CSF in a higher numbered expandmdXX.mix takes preference over one in a lower numbered MIX. But, a CSF in an ecache*.mix would be read in addition to that primary string file. In that way, every mappack could have its own string file...

But we're really only talking about maps in this instance, and one idea I tried to sell Delphi on (before I realized what a waste of time it was to talk to him) was the ability for the game to read strings from maps themselves. See #4 below.

2) Read PKT files from MIX files, so each mappack includes its own PKT. This of course assumes that the bug where maps are listed multiple times when multiple PKT files are used is also fixed.

3) If #2 is too hard, then perhaps simply changing the error message that pops up when you try to load a map you don't have could suffice. It could just say, umm, "You don't have this map installed", you know? It's not like the game crashes and burns with attempts to load maps you don't have.

4) On this thought, reading replacement load screens from MIX files would be nice too. (Basically, if you're hacking the EXE, why not get rid of all instances of needing loose files?) For that matter, why not read MMX and YRO from MIX files too. As I mentioned above, these formats would be good for the string problem. Right now the game sees the filename as a string label for these maps. Suppose it looked for that string label within the map file itself, instead of just in the CSF file?
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Whilst we are a considerably long way from having an RC, I thought I would start work on an installer so that there's something to plug any YRCP efforts into:

[Image: Image3.jpg]
--Lysdexia

I told you yet that you installer's great,
but I just post my opinion here to make it public Wink

The question is if the official mappacks should be included with it, I don't think so though, just costs space for something user can get nearly everywhere on the net.

BTW, what's the difference between the Modders Development Pack and the "standard" community patch?
I think the most things in it are made for modders.
[Image: jsfml.png]
Well the YRCP itself provides the user with the UMP fixes in normal YR, and the patched gamemd.exe file that may be required by some future mods.
As such, most of the install options are for all YR users, not just modders. The Mod Developer's Pack is for modders only and will (when it's finished) explain how to add the UMP fixes to their mod as well as explain how to make use of the extra functionality in gamemd.exe.

I think we should include the official YR map packs as they only add 867KB to the installer (the UMP stuff presently makes up just under 2MB).
A major advantage of providing lots of stuff with this installer is that YR users need to download fewer individual programs to be fully 'kitted out' with all the useful community YR addons and tools.

We might consider including more in the Dev Pack (like XCC Mixer/Mod Creator, etc) but filesize might start to creep up if the installer is for mod developers as well as the average YR user.

The TX would be a nice inclusion but if included would be a big contribution to the filesize so needs to be carefully considered.
At the very least, the YRCP will provide the ini entries for maximum TX support in normal YR (just like the UMP already does).
--Lysdexia

In that case, how about a big one and a little one?
- YRCP Standard, as presented above, and
- YRCP Extended, including a bigger DevPack and the Terrain Expansion? That way, us broadband-bitches can get all the good stuff, while the 56kers at least get the patch?

I'd suggest making the DevPack a sub-menu, though. 'cause I, personally, don't need to install XCC Mixer, Mod Creator, etc...Wink
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Quote:n that case, how about a big one and a little one?
- YRCP Standard, as presented above, and
- YRCP Extended, including a bigger DevPack and the Terrain Expansion? That way, us broadband-bitches can get all the good stuff, while the 56kers at least get the patch?
Yes about a lite version: a full version with all these things to install that Marshall included in the image & a "lite" version with only the basic to work (Community Patch & clean Up) will be the best solution & the people can choose Smile
[Image: cncr_beta_download_2.png]
5 different armies: GDI, Nod, Allies, Soviets & Yuri... & converted TS Terrain!!
My thinking:

YRCP contents: [note that these filsizes already include compression]
[UMP] bug fixes / assault mode / TA maps in standard [~350KB]
Latest pd patch. [~50KB]
Official YR map packs [~850KB]
RA2YR clean up program [~50KB]
YR playlist modifier [~50KB]
xwis connection tool [~100KB]
yrcp mod dev pack [~0KB (it's mainly text as the shp files are now provided by the YRCP)]

Estimated file size for finished package: ~1.42 MB
(If YR maps were not included: ~0.59 MB)

Terrain Expansion [alone]: ~6.21 MB

I believe the TX should remain separate so that low bandwidth users don't have to get it but, more importantly, the TX can be updated independantly of the YRCP.
The only drawbacks are:
1. TX not distributed with cumulative patch.
2. non-TX users vs TX users getting REs.

-----------

Second thought;
Can we include the TX terrain control ini files without the graphics files?
If so, this may alleviate some or all of the REs between people with/without TX.
I could be completely wrong, I need a TX expert to consider this idea.
If it works, the latest TX files will still override by being in expandmd06 (instead of expandmd02).
--Lysdexia

Well, maybe create TX Lite?
This was considered on the previous page - A lite version of the TX is not possible - it's all or nothing.
--Lysdexia

Back to development - where will the game read a PKT from?
Can we put the YRCP PKT inside expandmd02.mix?
Or will we have to patch the user's langmd.mix file?

Similarly, where can an ra2md.csf file be placed? Inside expandmd02? Or does it have to be read from langmd?

Further more, I need to know if different languages missionsmd.pkt files are in fact different - that might prove difficult having to update different language versions of those.
--Lysdexia

Marshall;date=Feb 8 2005, 02:49 PM Wrote:Back to development - where will the game read a PKT from?
Can we put the YRCP PKT inside expandmd02.mix?
Or will we have to patch the user's langmd.mix file?

Similarly, where can an ra2md.csf file be placed? Inside expandmd02? Or does it have to be read from langmd?
Further more, I need to know if different languages missionsmd.pkt files are in fact different - that might prove difficult having to update different language versions of those.
[right][snapback]347[/snapback][/right]
PKT and CSF files need to either be loose, or the game's own mix files will have to be altered. Which sucks greatly.
C-GEN: The site with the 'log the f*ck in' forum. And now we make you validate your f*cking e-mail address too.
CannisRules: It's a YR mod.
Indeed.
For this to work:
1. I need several people who have a specific language version of YR.
2. The appropriate pkt/csf updates need to be made so that I have a copy of each updated file in each language.
3. The people in part 1 need to add the csf/pkt to a copy of their langmd.mix file.
4. The people in part 1/3 need to run a short command line program I give them which will generate two patch files.

Once I get the patch files I can then write the installer to patch the end user's langmd.mix file. Similarly, the uninstaller can unpatch their langmd.mix file.

This is major pain in the ass, particularly with regard to updating the CP.

How feasable do you think the above will be?

The only other hope is if pd can modify the game to be more helpful.

What if missionsmd.pkt was placed loose (as well as another mod's pkt)? Would we still get the multiple listings problem?
--Lysdexia

Marshall;date=Feb 10 2005, 01:37 PM Wrote:Indeed.
For this to work:
1. I need several people who have a specific language version of YR.
2. The appropriate pkt/csf updates need to be made so that I have a copy of each updated file in each language.
3. The people in part 1 need to add the csf/pkt to a copy of their langmd.mix file.
4. The people in part 1/3 need to run a short command line program I give them which will generate two patch files.

Once I get the patch files I can then write the installer to patch the end user's langmd.mix file. Similarly, the uninstaller can unpatch their langmd.mix file.

This is major pain in the ass, particularly with regard to updating the CP.

How feasable do you think the above will be?

The only other hope is if pd can modify the game to be more helpful.
What if missionsmd.pkt was placed loose (as well as another mod's pkt)? Would we still get the multiple listings problem?
[right][snapback]363[/snapback][/right]

I believe that having missionsmd.pkt with another packet file causes the same problem but I'm not 100% on that. I think patching the users langmd.mix is a tidier solution to the csf and pkt problems and is more in line with how EA themselves patch the game (or rather patched the game...a whole one time).
In which case, we will need foreign language YR users who are capable of translating our strings/readmes/installer dialogues, and can do the mix/patch stuff mentioned above. I just hope that there won't be any need for further language-specific updates after release of the first YRCP.
--Lysdexia