Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urgent: Syringe dependencies on Windows XP
Question 
Hello!

I just prepared some computers for a big lan session with 8 people... two of them are still running with Windows XP.

Clean XP install, all updates installed. Clean RA2 + YR install. Copied my mod with all ares stuff into the game directory. Tried to run syringe with YR, but I got a system message, that this programm cannot be started ("Das angegebene Programm kann nicht ausgeführt werden."). I installed the visual c++ 2008 redistrubutable package, and now nothing happens. I start syringe with yr and a second later the program closes.

Plain YR runs perfect. Also no problem when using Vista or Win7.

Which files do I need? What does syringe depend on?

Only 12 hours to go... I am looking forward to some quick help. :-)
Did you try to install the VC++ 2010 redistributable package? I don't know how Syringe.exe was compiled, but at least Ares.dll is compiled with C++ 2010.
(22.04.2011, 03:07:53)AlexB Wrote: Did you try to install the VC++ 2010 redistributable package? I don't know how Syringe.exe was compiled, but at least Ares.dll is compiled with C++ 2010.

Yes, i tried that one afterwards. No difference. But it could be a specific problem with that computer, because the second computer with Windows XP does not make any problems. I didn't even need the 2008 redistributables. I used exactly the same way of installing XP, SP3, Updates, etc... Very strange.

(22.04.2011, 04:27:07)GMBigB Wrote:
(22.04.2011, 03:07:53)AlexB Wrote: Did you try to install the VC++ 2010 redistributable package? I don't know how Syringe.exe was compiled, but at least Ares.dll is compiled with C++ 2010.

Yes, i tried that one afterwards. No difference. But it could be a specific problem with that computer, because the second computer with Windows XP does not make any problems. I didn't even need the 2008 redistributables. I used exactly the same way of installing XP, SP3, Updates, etc... Very strange.

Check the compatibility modes of gamemd.exe & Syringe.exe They HAVE to match.

If the problem isn't solved yet, can you try to rename Ares.dll to AresX.dll (but leave the Ares.dll.inj untouched)? If you launch Syringe now, does the same message appear?
You can also try to run Syringe as administrator, if you haven't already done so. Syringe might use some rights only admins have (it is injecting code into another program, which can be quite malicious).
(22.04.2011, 13:40:05)AlexB Wrote: If the problem isn't solved yet, can you try to rename Ares.dll to AresX.dll (but leave the Ares.dll.inj untouched)? If you launch Syringe now, does the same message appear?
You can also try to run Syringe as administrator, if you haven't already done so. Syringe might use some rights only admins have (it is injecting code into another program, which can be quite malicious).

I am sorry, I had to make things running quicky and had no time to answer your questions. I tried to set both compatibility modes to Win 2000 (normally, no compatibility mode will do), but that did not change anything. The C++ 2010 redistributables did not help, too. If I rename Ares.dll to AresX.dll, still nothing happens. The application quits within a second.

I heard from two other people, that Syringe + Ares worked on naked Win XP. So fortunately, it does not seem to be a general problem.

Result of the lan session: about 5 hours of YR + Ares with seven players using my new mod, which uses a lot of Ares features (e.g. new armor types, custom ivan bombs, tank drops, Air-to-Air combat, survivors, emp,...). In about a dozen matches, no IEs or REs occured. No change in game speed compared to plain YR.

Game speed has always been a problem in LAN games. I am going to open a new thread for that issue.