Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patch for powered units (issue 617)
Mystery Guest your update patch also works great Smile
Are you going to write more features in the future?
Java student.
Is the Mysterious Guest still lurking?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Hey, I just checked your front page. I didn't have time before because I was busy with other things.

If you ask me I'd leave issues with special units like harvesters as is. Obviously more severe issues should be fixed. I'm positive I checked that building powered units that are unpowered leave the factory first and then shut down (like robot tanks), but apparently that doesn't happen?
(04.06.2011, 11:37:51)Mysterious Guest Wrote: I'm positive I checked that building powered units that are unpowered leave the factory first and then shut down (like robot tanks), but apparently that doesn't happen?

Sure, that is what happen. But it have some bugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZZSwE6Rus

You will have to rewrite the way game handle unpowered units being built.

Quote:The only bugs left(AFAIK) is how the game handle unpowered units being build(example when an unpowered unit leaves war factory).
Example of bugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZZSwE6Rus [^]
This bug can also make harvest continue its harvest mission(hard to reproduce, I was able to do it 2/15 times). This bug also happen to Operator logic.

I think, instead of try to fix that(I have no idea how a fix would work), I think how the game handles unpowered units being built system should be changed.
Suggestions:

- You are unable to build units that require power if you dont have the building that is powering them.
If you have a unit that have just been built(its still inside the war factory), and the building that power it is lost, the game should handle them in the current way.

or

- The unit freeze no matter where it is.
If the unit inside a war factory, it will be stuck there, and continue its mission when it get power again(that means you cant build other units from that war factory).
If the units is one a repair depot/ore docking spot, it will get stuck there.
Then there is:
Quote:Actually, the damn harvest bug isint fixed. Sell the building that power the ore miners while they are sucking ore, they will go offline but continue their mission.
And, if a harvest get unpowered while its unloading ore(CMON), it will be stuck that way. See image.
http://bugs.renegadeprojects.com/file_do...3&type=bug

There are also bugs related to magnetrons.
DCoder also know some bugs.

Btw what is the severe bugs youare talking about?

/YR M
Java student.
By severe I mean game breaking bugs. I don't think any of the bugs you posted are that severe though.

I wouldn't consider units getting stuck because the war factory is clogged a bug. That's just the way things work, even in the real world. It can happens in the vanilla game also. At least that's what I think you're trying to show with your video.

To be honest I don't think it's worth the effort to try and fix bugs that only happens 2/15 times under very specific circumstances. Easier to say the logic currently doesn't work correctly with harvesters and move on for now. You can always come back to it later (it's not like all other logic works under all circumstances anyway). I mean this in broad sense, because it looks like the Ares developers are very anxious to finally release version 0.2 and my patch is the only thing holding them up (or not?).
We are anxious, yes, because it's been more than a year since 0.1! Your patch is not the only thing holding us back (IIRC), but it's one of the largest features and we're understandably nervous about touching it since we didn't write it.

Edit: not trying to sound rude or anything. Leaving it as it is for now is fine with me.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
(06.06.2011, 17:32:01)DCoder Wrote: We are anxious, yes, because it's been more than a year since 0.1! Your patch is not the only thing holding us back (IIRC), but it's one of the largest features and we're understandably nervous about touching it since we didn't write it.

Edit: not trying to sound rude or anything. Leaving it as it is for now is fine with me.

This is a very reasonable response Smile Can't wait for 0.2 its another huge milestone for Ares Big Grin