Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Daily Feature Deathmatch is over!
Ladies and gentlemen, the DFD is over - and it was a success!
Judging 181 issues in total, within three and a half months, we distilled them down to the following 15 issues: Yes, we have suffered losses, yes, a number of good issues have died. But they gave way to the true crème de la crème of Ares requests, with the best balance of community support, developer support and realism possible.

Thank you all for your help with this venture, I know it was tedious at times.
However, in all honesty, I am kind of happy it was tedious for you - not because I wish you bad things, but because I think this event showed the community the "other side" of feature requests. The side where it's not just "fill in - submit - watch", but where you have to wade through hundreds of badly written, crappy or just plain superfluous requests and manage them all. It was quickly evident from your annoyed comments in the first round that you were fed up with the many, many crappy requests, and more than one of you suggested just throwing most of them out right then and there.
I would like to think that this glimpse into the world of feature request management gave you an idea of why feature requests don't always proceed as quickly as you'd like, and that not every request is as obviously awesome as the submitter believes.

On the other side, this glimpse into the community's mind was certainly helpful for us, both in understanding what you are and aren't interested in, and in supporting the concept of community-based feature vetting, something which we will continue to expand in the future. (Speaking of which: Get your Ares 0.3 suggestions in!)
It also showed how valuable and useful the ICS system is, another thing we will expand in the future.

As described previously, currently, new feature requests will be quickly vetted by us and the community and then suspended until they see active development. The goal of this measure is to reduce clutter in the tracker and focus attention on the issues needing it.

I will write another page for the tracker soon, to give you all an overview page of features currently being vetted, so you can easily give your opinion on new feature requests, and help prevent history repeating itself.
When the time comes, I will also add the majority of currently scheduled issues to it, since the post-0.2 release cycle makes their scheduling void, and the DFD has shown that the community doesn't necessarily support many feature requests.
This will give you an opportunity to strike down or support many of the previously scheduled issues, either further cementing their future inclusion, or preventing them from taking up development time.

I believe this is all for now. Thank you, again, for your significant help in this event, and I hope, as tedious as it was, that you at least had a little bit of fun in the process! Smile
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.