Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenes From the Past
Hello all.

My name is Eric Horodyski AKA Mr. Damnation AKA Killerkidd. If that name rings a bell to you then you must have been in this community a long time. If not, here's my story:

Currently, I'm a fourth-year student of Computer Science and freelance web designer after working for a local company for a year and needing to quit to focus on school (I like throwing that part out there, makes me feel legit).

Previously, in what seems like a past life after all these years and repressed memories, I used to be one of the longest active community members of the Command and Conquer Modding Scene. What did I do of importance? Nothing really from the modding side. But I was in it from old RA2Mods.com days, when RaGe owned the site and I submitted my "Nuclear Animals" mod. It was fun, it was unbalanced, and my first thread of "How do you make a nuclear cow?" wasn't perceived very well.

From there I had side projects, none successful, through the eras of FedNET and Eclipse. As a young, stupid teenager, somehow I not only kept myself from being banned from those places, but even got into a position of "respect" when FedNET closed down and Stardust Studios was launched. Personally, I blame myself for the destruction of SDS. I was overly ambitious and couldn't deliver on the ideas and motions I wanted to put into place. In fact, that's one of the reasons I left my "pro web design" job -- I was the only web designer there and had limited knowledge of these new powerful tools like Drupal that we needed to use, and no time to learn with school there. I couldn't complete those projects with a one man team who has to study for Physics and Data Structures on top of work. But that's another story. Either way, SDS was doomed from the get-go. We had good ideas, but no structure, and the people in power who weren't on the technical side lost interest because the work on our side was slow.

Post SDS (and during), came the emergence of what I call the "modern" hosts of the C&C community. Cannis, Strategy-X and ArmEnt. Sadly, C-GEN died a year ago this September/October when spammers came and ate the forums. The last thing I remember was a double sided argument on how some people didn't like their accounts hacked and wanted something done, and the rational side saying its too bad there's nothing we could do since Cannis was gone. I was on the arguing side, mostly because it was fun.

Either way, last night I found an old CD of backups from early 2003. On it is a bunch of assets from SDS, including a racy screengrab of Vlad06 "dissing" Clive and basically calling him a fruit because of his site's design. Seeing as this is the last place alive that I know of that has any ties to anything I did, I felt it would be cool to write a nostalgic topic. Even though I did it last year at C-GEN, lol. This time I actually have stuff, and I'm going to call the statutes of limitations on this junk and offer to anyone who wants it. Unless Godwin and Neophx have any complaints, I'll attach the Stardust Studios layout (which is still very good, IMO) after I wait a while to see if there are any retractors. I also have that picture, and a bunch of old layouts I did in case anyone wants to see what the days of old were like. The only people I really talk to anymore from this community are SaberHawk and Tankbusta, as they are kind of my coding support team, so it's all my pleasure to offer this stuff to the community at large as well.

Peace out kids, and I hope this place is doing well for yourselves. Tell Clive I said hi (is he even still around?).

-Eric
The name Killerkidd rigns a bell.That's some set of campaign ribbons you've got there, makes me feel young enough as an '07 newbie.
Yeah geez, it's been some ride. Funny what a young kid can do in their free time. Instead of Xangas or games in middle school I modded and reviewed websites. In High School before I got a car and life really started (socially, of course) I designed sites and ran/ruined SDS.

I miss this community. Real life sucks sometimes.

How's the mod scene? I can't play any of these new games cause I have a meh computer (and I hated how I always needed to upgrade my computer for every game I wanted to play) and of course, no mods on the 360...sadly.

Edit: Here's the pic I referenced before. Hilarious stuff now that it's been 6 years since. I had such a boner for pixel fonts around this time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh wow, nostalgia... Hey, KK. The modding community is a lot less active than it used to be... but we've still got great projects cooking, including an exe patch for YR Wink Unfortunately, most of the other modding forums are run by spineless weasels who cater to noobs instead of decent modders, and flaming noobs for being stupid got me banned from three different forums recently. Pity, that.

I'm afraid neither Godwin nor neophx have visited here (nor anywhere else related to C&C modding, afaik) in a long long time. Clive is nowhere to be seen as well... Saberhawk still hangs around on our IRC channel often though.

Quote:The last thing I remember was a double sided argument on how some people didn't like their accounts hacked and wanted something done, and the rational side saying its too bad there's nothing we could do since Cannis was gone. I was on the arguing side, mostly because it was fun.
lol yeah, it was a fun argument.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Oh god. I didn't think anyone from SDS was still around. Daaaaaaaayum. Tongue
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
(25.08.2009, 07:10:54)Beowulf Wrote: Oh god. I didn't think anyone from SDS was still around. Daaaaaaaayum. Tongue

Well with all the vicodin TAG was on in the later days, I can't blame you. LOL
I think it's been long enough. Would anyone like the SDS layout? I already passed it off to Saberhawk (God knows why) so if everyone can respect the copyright and not claim it as their own I'm all for passing it out. Along with any of my older layouts that I can find. The SDS one is kind of messed up as you'll see below, but I can fix it if anyone would like.

[Image: sds.png]
No one probably remembers me Unhappy

I was around SDS for awhile. Helped around and also some of FedNet.
KillerKidd! I have you credited in my mod..for..something
Quote:flaming noobs for being stupid got me banned from three different forums recently
Where the hell did you find the other two? And if you broke the threads like /ppm/ please link me Tongue That was awesome, I must say.
CNCDEN (on my birthday no less), PPM, DZ. In that order. All for the same reason, not tolerating the stupid. I didn't break the HTML, but the moderator at CNCDEN apparently uses that shitpipe IE 6 because my pure text signature caused his browser to lag when scrolling the page. Go figure.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
(09.09.2009, 03:55:07)Whiteboy Wrote: KillerKidd! I have you credited in my mod..for..something

Oh wow, I thought this thread was dead (a) months ago.

I'm probably credited for a tutorial you used somewhere Tongue

Either that or maybe I did some graphic work? Maybe a cameo? Unless you use the xRML mod launcher in which case I did graphics for that.

Honestly it beats me but I can't help but feel pride over it lol.
Awesome haha, well thanks for whatever you did anyway, I'm sure it was a cameo or graphic. Erm.. play my mod and find out (shameless plug!)
I feel old...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5bqx0yxbmfo2s9/TMML.jpg?dl=0