Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wouldn't be better a new complete rewritten engine?
TS is a heavily modified RA engine, RA2 is a yet further modified TS engine, based entirely on what Hyper has mentioned to me.
This means that deep back in RA2's history bits of it were RA, if I am correct.

But then again, parts of the the WOL, used so far back as RA iirc, interface crop up in RA3, so I guess that RA3 is a modified RA engine then? Tongue
I'm not saying there aren't bits and pieces left, and I'm not saying one engine isn't an evolution of the other.
But there's a giant difference between "heavily modified over a five-year-period" and "basically the same".

The guest was pretending YR's engine was nothing but RA's with a few additional features, and that's just bullshit.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
You'd only have to look at the ingame screen to notice they're very different - RA uses flat terrain and 2D graphics that don't really go beyond basic SHPs; TS and onwards use a dimetric camera, TMP terrain, voxels, the list goes on.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
Red Alert itself is just a heavily modified Hello World app. Basically, Westwood just added units and the Chrono Vortex graphical effect.
I need to go find or write a slashdot-like rating plugin. I want to mod your post +5 funny. LOL
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
(09.09.2010, 06:05:01)Orac Wrote: But then again, parts of the the WOL, used so far back as RA iirc, interface crop up in RA3, so I guess that RA3 is a modified RA engine then? Tongue
What parts?
(09.09.2010, 13:53:08)Nighthawk200 Wrote: You'd only have to look at the ingame screen to notice they're very different - RA uses flat terrain and 2D graphics that don't really go beyond basic SHPs; TS and onwards use a dimetric camera, TMP terrain, voxels, the list goes on.
That's just the presentation layer.
(24.09.2010, 12:57:19)XTF Wrote:
(09.09.2010, 06:05:01)Orac Wrote: But then again, parts of the the WOL, used so far back as RA iirc, interface crop up in RA3, so I guess that RA3 is a modified RA engine then? Tongue
What parts?
(09.09.2010, 13:53:08)Nighthawk200 Wrote: You'd only have to look at the ingame screen to notice they're very different - RA uses flat terrain and 2D graphics that don't really go beyond basic SHPs; TS and onwards use a dimetric camera, TMP terrain, voxels, the list goes on.
That's just the presentation layer.

So? Half Life runs on a heavily modded Quake engine, doesn't make them the same game does it?

[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
@XFT: I'm not sure, I just recall someone mentioning that some fragments of the ancient Westwood libraries could still be discerned somewhere in the dark depths of RA3. Not entirely certain what, but I believe it was WOL related.
(24.09.2010, 19:32:45)MRMIdAS Wrote: So? Half Life runs on a heavily modded Quake engine, doesn't make them the same game does it?
Don't remember saying they're the same game.