Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFD-R3: 640 vs. 724, 322 vs. 360
(13.08.2010, 15:28:53)Marshall Wrote: The whole point of 724 is to make sure that cameos are sorted in the correct order, NOT to change the order to something nonsensical.
I'm almost as much a player as I am a modder and I'm used to the order as it stands, not a 'fixed' one. It's a 'fixed' one that will generate player complaints, instead of fixing anything that wasn't broken. Cameo sorting is messy but it's not broken, people are used to it and it's not that big of a deal.
I'm what Willis was talkin' about.
The "order" as it stands only applies to the original game. Any mod that adds more than a couple of units (especially buildings) can easily have an order that is not in keeping with what people are used to - cameo ordering controls allow us to ensure the order makes sense.
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.

Administrative Notice:

Since the last post in this discussion was over two days ago, it is assumed to be over. We will proceed to judgement.
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Fight 1
This is about a fun feature and a feature that may actually be used to change the game. Both features are nice to have and personally, I'd like to see both of them implemented. AI player names adds more personality to the game in a few places while the cameo sort order will always be present.

For now I think cameo sort order is more important, as it gives more control to the modders. The random names are nice to have and it shouldn't be complicated to implement it in a few minutes. Thus, it is likely to slip in if a developer has some spare time and is in mood to do something silly.

The reason why I'm not coding this right away: What's more useful? Having three or four of the uncomplicated small issues like this implemented or concentrating on one bigger issue? Answering this is left as an exercise to the reader. Big Grin

Fight 2
The NonVehicle= issue groups several smaller issues that prevent several game logics to work properly, thus fixing it would add more to the game than adding the bullet effect.

This is roughly the same explanation I gave to the last fight NonVehicle= was in: Fixing old stuff before adding new stuff takes precedence. Especially when so many logics are involved.
Fight 1

Personally, I think #724 is a crappy request for a contrived usage case whose graveness is completely exaggerated and overhyped.

Oh noes, THE CAMEOS ARE OUT OF ORDER!!! We're all gonna die!!
Has it occurred to you that your "right order" is based on a situation that is no longer given once you acquire other technology, either by mod or by enemy ConYard?
What is the "right order" if the mod removes the Grizzly and replaces it with two different tanks?

All this "correct order" bullcrap is trying to apply one particular order of cameos which is only valid in one particular scenario (unmodded game, unchanged tech tree) to all scenarios that could possibly be, no matter if that makes sense or not. It's bullshit, unneeded, only useful to pedantic control freaks, and will very most likely lead to player complains.

But whatever. If you want it that badly... Rolling eyes

Kill: #640
Support: #724

Fight 2

The claim that #360 can be done once straight projectiles are possible is completely bogus.
If you just give the bullets a projectile, not only will you destroy the instant-ness of the bullets, but you'll end up with Cannon Fodder-like bullet effects, rather than proper tracers.
The effects you could possibly fake would be worlds inferior to a live-computed version.

I do think #360 is far more important than #322, since it would be this kind of eye candy that sucks in new users, but since ICS gives #360 as many opponents as #322 has supporters, I guess it must die.

Kill: #360
Support: #322
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.