Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poking, Prodding, Public Preparation
Schedules, Bugs & Tests
As some of you may have noticed, the scheduled release date for Ares 0.1, our first public release, is quickly coming closer.
However, if you're among the observant part of our userbase, you will also have noticed 0.1 still carries the note "Release date to be determined.".

Now before you panic, this is not an "Ares public release delayed!" thread.

But it is a reminder that we can't do everything alone, and that there's still some stuff to be done before we can publicly release a preview-version of Ares.

In particular, (watch for the testers to squirm in 3...2...1) there are still 6 issues in the tracker which are resolved, but not closed, and need confirmation of resolution before we can confidently move forward.
In addition, at least one issue could probably benefit from more tests and debug data.

Beyond all that, despite my request three months ago, so far, we didn't get all that much material we could use to actually showcase Ares so far.
We'd be happy about a few more shots specifically showing off Ares features at work, and preparing those for public showcasing (adding text, etc.) takes time as well.

Why am I telling all this to the general public, rather than the testers? That's where the poking and prodding part come in. Wink
I think they need a little encouragement - and I figured a mob with torches and pitchforks that would be very unhappy if Ares were delayed because no one bothered to say "yepp, this still works" is a little more convincing than the same people whipping them respectfully asking them to test all day anyway.

In addition, it is, of course, a soft warning that the note stays on there for a reason. We are aiming at a close release date, and we will keep aiming at a close release date even if we don't make the original close release date, but the danger of actually testing stuff before release is that you find show stoppers that delay the release. Unhappy

So yeah. Ares 0.1 will come soon, and, so far, hitting the scheduled release date is still possible, but the actual date will depend on what last-minute bugs we hit and how much testing gets done to help us crush them.

Disclaimer: All this is not to say that all testers are lazy and don't work...a select few shine and have been a great help. It's just that more shining ones would be better. Wink

Conversion from EXE Patches
On an entirely different note, despite my offers to work on a converter provided I get the necessary data together to actually do that, the public interest/help has been zero in the past three months, so I can tell you right now that there will not be an automatic converter from RockPatch to Ares. A pity, yes, but we don't have the time to wade through the documentation of the dozen different RP versions still in the wild and compare what does and doesn't exist in Ares, and if the community doesn't even care enough to compare two feature lists, then the interest in a converter can't have been all that big in the first place.

If this information is provided after the release of Ares, I can see about crafting one later on, or someone else could give it a try, but so far, as said, the interest doesn't seem to exist, and it's too late to code and test one now.
An official RockPatch → Ares Migration Thread exists, and we'll be happy to assist you migrating manually, gradually building a knowledge base for later help and possible future converters.

Please keep in mind that due to NPatch's unreliable nature and similar spread of versions and features available (among other issues), we do not offer "official" NPatch → Ares migration support. NPatch users are encouraged to help each other, and we will not actively kill NPatch → Ares migration help threads, but do not expect any help or involvement from Ares coders or testers.
The reasons for this decision have been discussed multiple times in the past and it is final. However, as skilled modders, thanks to Marshall's immense efforts to update the manual, you shouldn't have problems converting your mods on your own.

Realistic Expectations
This is a preview-release. It's numbered 0.1 for a reason.
That doesn't mean it's unstable or unusable, but it does mean that it's far from complete. Whining on the forums about missing features, or telling us how NPatch includes feature X and Ares doesn't and therefore NPatch is better, won't do anything.
  • Savegames don't work yet.
  • Super weapon clones don't work yet.
Those are simple facts and if you dislike that, or complain about it, that won't magically make them appear. We have an issue tracker. If you want to request features, report bugs, or argue for making something higher priority, go there, do it.
Pointlessly annoying us serves neither of us.

When the time comes, read the manual, decide if the feature set is enough for you, and if it is, convert. If it isn't, get on the tracker and let us know which features you're missing the most.
Everything else is a waste of your breath.

Ares Distribution, Usage, Mod Creators & Ares
Since Ares injects code, rather than hard-changing the engine, its usage and delivery differ from EXE patches. While its usage is most certainly not complicated, the Ares Developers strongly encourage mod creators to use the time of conversion to switch to Marshall's Launch Base RA2/YR add-on manager. Launch Base includes automatic management and updating of Ares and Syringe, and will completely eradicate the need for instructions to the user on how to launch YR with Ares.
It'll basically be click & run for the user, which is most certainly in your interest.
On a related note, all testers who haven't done so already should update to the latest Launch Base.

In addition, for those who opt not to use Launch Base, we will have to provide download locations. While there will, of course, be a local mirror, in order to provide geographically close servers for everyone, we will provide packages on one-click hosters.
The question at this point is: Which ones?
There are easily hundreds of one-click hosters these days, and many many of them just suck. We don't want the community to be bombarded with ads and popups, and we don't want broadband users to be limited to 15 kB/s by the server.
Which one-click hosters have you had good experiences with and would recommend as a mirror for Ares?
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Erm, Ren. Not to put a screeching halt on proceedings but there are a few... 'Latency issues' which need addressing in addition to those 6.
You might want to ask CNCGuild.net, to see if they would be willing to host Ares' files somewhere on their server. The bulk of the RA2/YR modding community lives there so that's definitely the first place I would go to host a d/l link to ares. If that doesn't work, I've heard good things about RapidShare, though I've never used it myself.

As for a release date, what's the rough timeframe you guys have been looking at? Release in a few weeks? months? Not asking for any specifics because I know that there is tons to consider about the release date (as you pointed out), but if all goes well and the issues are swept up cleanly around (this can be a really broad time frame) what time were you thinking this release would happen? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to gauge my mod development timeframe along with Ares' development.

Lt Albrecht Wrote:Erm, Ren. Not to put a screeching halt on proceedings but there are a few... 'Latency issues' which need addressing in addition to those 6.

What lag are you experiencing? I had none after issue 747 was resolved.
Quote:As for a release date, what's the rough timeframe you guys have been looking at? Release in a few weeks? months?
http://bugs.renegadeprojects.com/roadmap_page.php

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
Any specific Ares features you want to showcase? There are so many to choose Tongue
(30.03.2010, 11:20:06)Renegade Wrote: Beyond all that, despite my request three months ago, so far, we didn't get all that much material we could use to actually showcase Ares so far.
We'd be happy about a few more shots specifically showing off Ares features at work, and preparing those for public showcasing (adding text, etc.) takes time as well.
I've added some text to my NIPPLES AREOLA feature screenshot indicating which features were used and where in the screenshot they were used. I've also commented on several issues. Come on, other testers! I don't wanna be attacked by an angry mob! You know they are indiscriminatory about who they attack!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The present is theirs. The future, for which I really worked, is mine."
- Nikola Tesla

"My - y - my - your - my vision has permutated. My - y - my - your - my plans have followed a path unpredicted by the union of Nod and GDI. Your - my - our - our directives must be reassessed." - Kane/CABAL

[Image: 9853.png]
(31.03.2010, 04:36:44)Orac Wrote: Any specific Ares features you want to showcase? There are so many to choose Tongue
Well, the more spectacular they look, the better...but ultimately, any is good Smile
Forum Rules

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
Quote:You might want to ask CNCGuild.net, to see if they would be willing to host Ares' files somewhere on their server.

I guess this is where I might come in handy, given that I run the Guild. We can host Ares' files on the Guild's server if you want.
Ares Project Manager.
[Image: t3wbanner.png]
[Image: cncgsigsb_sml.png]
Open Ares positions: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.
PM if interested.
I'm guessing we will certainly showcase the usual entry-level common use logics, like coloring rad beans, electric bolts, and the works. EMP would be a good thing to show if we can ever get the logic to work again. Beyond that, the spy showing production cameos thing (which I will test to see if it works later today), AA combat (cuz people love that), urban combat/trenches/passthrough, etc. are all things that should be showcased if we can get a good snapshot that shows it in action (which may be hard for UC passthrough, emp, and some other things...
Soo...screenshots? Wink

Thanks, Nighthawk, once there is a release package that has been tested and confirmed as working, we'll send it to you. Smile
As indicated in the post, we're not sure when that's gonna happen just yet...the tester's fear of angry mobs seems to be limited.

Guess we'll need new testers soon...how convenient that the public release will bring in lots of interested people.
Forum Rules

I'll see about getting some screenshots today. I'll also see if I can test and confirm some resolved issues.
Angry Mob prepares torches and pitch forks for use..... Just in case, I believe it would be really awesome if we could see some more screenshots, cause I am really getting excited about the public release soon, and the screenshots would only get me more excited as I saw all the awesome features to play with. Poking
Homicide-Its their only way out! Dead