Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics wizardry
So someone nagged me into looking at the graphics code. While I do not intend to hold any releases up because of it, I think I can give you the ability to fiddle with some more graphics controls at your own risk. What I will enable includes:
Code:
;ra2md.ini
[Graphics.Advanced]
DirectX.Force=(default|hardware|emulation)
Surface.Composite.Memory=(default|VRAM|System)
Surface.Composite.Force3D=(default|yes|no)

.Force - force DirectDraw into either software emulation or hardware rendering mode, default being "don't force anything, do what you think is best". The infamous ddraw.dll that people were peddling earlier simply forces this setting into software emulation mode.
.Memory - whether to force this surface into video RAM or system RAM, "Composite" stands for surface name, and there are multiple surfaces such as Composite, Tile, Hidden, Alternate, Primary, Sidebar, etc. I don't really know what which of them do, but whatever, this is supposed to be a test. Two of these surfaces are usually controlled with [Video]VideoBackBuffer=y/n while the rest are hardcoded, this gives finer control.
.Force3D - should this surface be forced into what Westwood named 3D, again I do not know what precisely it is.

I'll post more info as I find it, in the mean time, I want thoughts on all the graphics stuff.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
This is good for both older machines and newer machines, let the software/hardware handle everything depending on your specs.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
Would it be best to let the Hardware do it all?
(01.04.2009, 12:43:20)hogo Wrote: Would it be best to let the Hardware do it all?

not for older machines or machines with crappy graphichs cards.
That's sort of the point of this experiment, to let you choose. And the best part, if something crashes for you, it's not my fault! Big Grin 2

Yeah, instead we gat a million bug reports going "Me mess wiv settingz n now yuri don't wurk rite"
Yeah, what would I do without a "Delete All" button Wow

(01.04.2009, 16:25:15)MRMIdAS Wrote:
(01.04.2009, 12:43:20)hogo Wrote: Would it be best to let the Hardware do it all?

Im pretty sure my GTX 285 1 GB can support Yuri's Revenge XD
(01.04.2009, 23:47:48)hogo Wrote:
(01.04.2009, 16:25:15)MRMIdAS Wrote:

Im pretty sure my GTX 285 1 GB can support Yuri's Revenge XD

Yeah because your pc is THE ONLY PC IN THE UNIVERSE THAT FUCKING MATTERS!
Kids...D is not the only one with shiny buttons. >_>
No fight over such an irrelevant topic. Period.

(And no apologies, buts or ands, either. Just continue on topic.)
Forum Rules

(01.06.2011, 05:43:25)kenosis Wrote: Oh damn don't be disgraced again!

(25.06.2011, 20:42:59)Nighthawk Wrote: The proverbial bearded omni-bug may be dead, but the containment campaign is still being waged in the desert.
In this:
http://bugs.renegadeprojects.com/view.php?id=559
This guy say Yuris Revenge use CPU. So, if I have AMD X4 3.0GHz processor, the game will never lag? Cany any1 confirm this?
as for my mods I would give the user some control over it by letting them include a new rules extension.. the [Include] section should do fine.. Big Grin
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
(02.04.2009, 13:17:13)Tempest Wrote: as for my mods I would give the user some control over it by letting them include a new rules extension.. the [Include] section should do fine.. Big Grin

Agreed, It would be good for people who seem to have performance trouble to give it a try.
(02.04.2009, 11:39:34)Guest Wrote: In this:
This guy say Yuris Revenge use CPU. So, if I have AMD X4 3.0GHz processor, the game will never lag? Cany any1 confirm this?

Yuri's revenge is Pre-Hyper Threading, so, it'll only ever use 1 "Thread". what this means is, it'll only ever use 1 core of your 4 core CPU, so in theory a 3.6GHz single core pentium 4 would give better results than your AMD X4. this isn't necasarily true though, you'd still benefit from an extra core, because YR can use the power of 1 core, while windows, and everything else running in the background can use the rest, so your system isn't slowing YR down.
(15.04.2009, 11:56:34)Bobingabout Wrote:
(02.04.2009, 11:39:34)Guest Wrote: In this:

Yuri's revenge is Pre-Hyper Threading, so, it'll only ever use 1 "Thread". what this means is, it'll only ever use 1 core of your 4 core CPU, so in theory a 3.6GHz single core pentium 4 would give better results than your AMD X4. this isn't necasarily true though, you'd still benefit from an extra core, because YR can use the power of 1 core, while windows, and everything else running in the background can use the rest, so your system isn't slowing YR down.

Ive not yet tested Yuri's Revenge on my i7core yet hehe It should be fun Big Grin
I remeber when it used to lag when Prism tanks destroyed a building. XD