Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expandmd##.mix problem
Launch base only seems to recognise the highest numbered expandmd##.mix

With mods that have expansion packs (assault expansion) and so on, the lower numbered mix's don't get copied, so the mod throws up an error.
[Image: MRMIdAS2k.jpg]
MRMIdAS: No longer allowed to criticise Westwood on PPM
If you're referring to expandmd02-10, these are reserved mix files for use by potential future plugins. At present, only expandmd06 is used by the Terrain Expansion, which should not be distributed by mods.

Launch Base should accept, for mods, any mix file numbered 11-99
Ever wondered what the hell is going on?
Believe me friend you're not the only one.
--Lysdexia

Check out Launch Base for RA2/YR - http://marshall.strategy-x.com
Also home to the Purple Alert mod, 1.002 UMP, and the YR Playlist Manager.
Ah! fair enough.

Yeah, I have ExpandMD02 and ExpandMD03.
I think I better rename mine too..
ALL HAIL!!!! King of the Loosers
ugh.. Never mind..

[Image: 9c3cfb081d.png]

"Engine 2 is 'no longer' on fire." -One of those penguins from Madagascar (though, I can't seem to recall that guy's name.. Nay, who cares?)
Please note that this restriction on expandmd##.mix is not unique to Launch Base - it was generally agreed with various community members some time ago that this should be the case, and you can find several references to it on community forums.

However, only Launch Base actually enforces this restriction.
--Lysdexia

Because its a silly restriction TBH. Makes sense in LaunchBase because then things could get sticky, but there should be notice saying that people cant use the first few numbers because some CGEN people wanted their own little plot of mixes.
Complaining about something that was decided three years ago and inventing a non-existant problem with it is seriously lame.
If your project is supposed to interop with other mods, like the TX does, you can take one of the Reserved Mix Files for it. Otherwise, you have no need for such a low number and the projects that do can be sure none of you random numberers will thrash their stuff on a whim.

Worth playing: 1 | 2 | 3
I should also point out that LB Mod Creator does warn you about this if you try to include a reserved mix file.
--Lysdexia

Ahh, the days when the DeeZire forums were populated by intelligent and learned individuals in addition to the ignorant hordes. Omega, do you have some issue with C-Gen? The precious few mixes that have been agreed as reserved were done so for good reason to make it easier for people in the community to build mods that worked with them, not because of some ego trip by an elite cabal over at C-Gen.
(06.09.2008, 09:54:48)Marshall Wrote: Please note that this restriction on expandmd##.mix is not unique to Launch Base - it was generally agreed with various community members some time ago that this should be the case, and you can find several references to it on community forums.

However, only Launch Base actually enforces this restriction.

I wasn't aware on the restriction, but can see why it's there, although I would've also liked to see some mention of this, be it when the mod is loading, or whatever, just a "some of your mod files are named incorrectly please rename expandmd##.mix to "expandmdXX.mix", where XX is a number between 11 & 99."
Well the log file does say the files were rejected - it is assumed that a mod author would see this and correct the problem as neccessary. As it stands there is a generic routine in LB that detects wheter a file is permitted. However, if neccessary I can expand this to log a more detailed explanation for reserved mix files.
--Lysdexia

i never did test that GUI thing i mentioned on the deezire forum XD