Renegade Projects Network Forums
Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: Inject the Battlefield (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Forum: Ares General Discussion (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> (/showthread.php?tid=16)

RE: Patching extra functionality into &lt;gamemd.exe&gt; - C00L DuDe - 01.02.2005

FS-21 Wrote:You can see on teh preview of each map if exist venholes...
If I'm not wrong on the preview of TS you should see these yellow zones... I

It's a black zones in the middle of the map
[Image: TS%20preview.JPG]
Venholes are black in the preview

- Guest - 01.02.2005

Regarding the new InfDeaths, why would every new one use unittem?
Could you not make several InfDeaths, some based on InfDeath 9, some on InfDeath not9. So that some had MakeInfantry capability with unittem.pal, others with no MakeInfantry and default to anim.pal

Worst case scenario, just make them all based on InfDeath 9 with unittem - People could live with having to use that palette for their new InfDeath anims.

Sorry, this message was posted by me. //Marshall

- Stardark - 01.02.2005

Maybe you can do, that also in TS is, that enemy infantry and vehicle names are named with enemy unit, and that if you with an spy go into an barrack, that you can see the name's of that enemy's units and if you go into a war factory that you can see the name's of that enemy's vehicles

- Beowulf - 01.02.2005

Actually, it would be nice if we could fix that 100 unit bug... I think it's been mentioned but any ideas as to the cause of it?

- Marshall - 01.02.2005

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I fail to see why the 100 unit bug is significant. Is not the workaround (civ units at end of list) sufficient to deal with the problem?

- Daedalus - 01.02.2005

Not if you want to add lots of units, and with possible 4th side logic owrking you will want to do that

- Guest - 01.02.2005

You will even need more than 100 Units, if you add, let's say 3 new Sites and if you want them to be very different...

Adn with 4th side logic, like Daedalus said, it WILL be necessary to fix 100 Unit bus

PsYkE (Arthur)

- Renegade - 01.02.2005

@Marshall:
100 Units.
13 Countries.
Let's say you got 3 Standard Tanks and 3 Standard Harvesters for 3 Sides.
94 Units.
Air Transport for each side.
91 Units.
Naval Hovercraft.
88 Units.
MCVs.
85 Units.
Divided by 13:
6.5 Units for each country.
By now, all you have is a battletank, your harvester, the MCV and naval and airborne transportation. Nothing special. Nothing specialized. Just a generic tank to fight with.
Which means you've got 6.5 Units to give your country a unique land armada, a fleet and all the JumpJets it will need.

Sure, it is possible to do so, especially if you don't make everything unique. But it's not optimal. And, look at it this way: Without the limit, there's still nobody forcing you to add that many units. But if you want to, there's nothing that stops you from it. As obvious as it sounds: As long as there's a limit, our possibilities are limited. And if we have a chance to turn off this limitiation, why not do it?

RE: Patching extra functionality into &lt;gamemd.exe&gt; - Guest - 02.02.2005

PaD Wrote:@ Spider-man_2099:
Thanks!
Well, changing graphics stuff is MUCH harder than you may imagine...
Just add it to the wishlist, one day I'll have a look on this and try.

Thanks, also, I've been thinking about it, and it would probably be much more effecient if you just make the unit***.pal affected by map light, it already is affected by the ambient, just not by the colours, as opposed to iso***.pal, which is affected by both.

- Marshall - 02.02.2005

I fully appreciate that some people might want more units but I thought the workaround removed the problem. Are you saying that if I hit 100 buildable units, even with unbuildable stuff at end, that the problem will return? If so, then yes, I can see the need to fix the bug.
DZ's ini guide says the limit is 102, so which is it? 100 or 102?

- CannisRabidus - 02.02.2005

pd: Can file search paths be changed globally?

- pd - 02.02.2005

So I finally managed to get the MakeInf work. Big Grin

I'll make it like Marshall said, a bit different though, but the same main idea.
I'm going to make two sections:
NewInfMutations for InfDeaths that use MakeInfantry and
NewInfDeaths for others.

NewInfMutations will use unit***.pal while the others use anim.pal.
I think it's the best solution.

If I do NOT manage to read new sections, I'll just add a few new values.
I'll keep you up to date Wink

I'm going to release it together with my website in a few days.

@Cannis:
How do you mean? e.g. that the game reads "yr.mix" instead of "ra2md.mix"?
Yep, possible, but would it be good for?

@Marshall:
Hm, whether it's 100 or 102 - it's a limit - and limits suck.
When adding one or more new sides, you HAVE to exceed it.

- Marshall - 02.02.2005

Amazing work!
How many InfDeaths of each type are you planning to add?
If it's of any consequence, I personally could do with at least 2 mutation ones and 3 or 4 normal ones.

So what's next on your patching agenda?

All hail pd!

- pd - 02.02.2005

LOL

If I manage to read new sections I made a kinda algorithm which would allow 89 mutations and ??? "standard" InfDeaths, whereas ???>100.

I dunno.
If not, 5 new mutations and 10 new InfDeaths will do.

But I'm a perfectionist and I WANT to read a section (plus, it's experience I'll need for future projects).

I dunno what I care of after InfDeaths.
I should check out the wishlist again...

- DCoder - 02.02.2005

Brilliant work, pd! Big Grin

BTW, Cannis' question was about "which mix files the game searches for specific types of files in, can we change that order?"
See this page for exact info on how the game reads the files.