Renegade Projects Network Forums
Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: Inject the Battlefield (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Forum: Ares General Discussion (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> (/showthread.php?tid=16)

- Bobingabout - 26.05.2005

that could explain a few things.

and no, i played 2 games, 1 with 1.04c against 1.04c, and a second game(actually the 3rd 1, the second never crashed on my machine) with 1.05 against 1.05(each game had 5 players, all 5 players had the same patch version.)

let me go turn off my PIC device i'm working on, it kinda looks and sounds like a bomb...

and i don't expect PD to just jump back into hacking YR. atleast not just yet. although, it would be nice if he did.

- THE11thROCK? - 26.05.2005

Guys, have you encountered this problem with Superweapons? It happens to my game with the PaD's 1.05 patch. It seems that when you have a superweapon (old dominator) and you have already fired it, the second superweapon (new dominator) that you will use will not allow you to fire it simultaneously but only after the first one finishes. I also experienced this with Lightning storm after my ally (AI) fired it first then I wanted to fire my own Lightning Storm but it will not allow me simultaneously fire with my ally. Does this happen often in RA2 Yr, or is this another problem worth sorting out? Big Grin PROJECTALPHA?

- DCoder - 27.05.2005

It happens in unmodded game too. I have a feeling it's related to the ambient lighting.

- Marshall - 27.05.2005

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid idea, but would it not be wise to start the patch from scratch and incorporate the new stuff one thing at a time?
Release a new patch for each new addition.
That way, we can fully test each new thing and make sure that it works perfectly and the patch is stable, before moving on to the next thing.
Lots of new stuff is great but is ultimately worthless if the patch is not stable.

- THE11thROCK? - 27.05.2005

@Dcoder Smile
If it's with the ambient lighting, is it possible to fix it (by tweaking each weapons lighting?). Tnx!

@Jonwil Rolling eyes
Hope you can take a look at this. Here's an except.txt of my I.E. encounter. Tnx!

- pd - 27.05.2005

@ Marshall:
I had that idea once, and I was already at it, until I noticed it's not necessary.
This time neither.

THE11thROCK?'s error is the same error type again: the pointer to my data is invalid.
And there's only one possible reason: it gets overwritten (by something we probably cannot find).
The solution: Move it somewhere else.
The best way to do this would be a new 1K data segment, this time with read & write access.

That way, we could move everything we stored in WW's data segment in an own one and be sure it doesn't get overwritten.
jonwil, what do you think of the idea?

- THE11thROCK? - 27.05.2005

@Marshall
I think PaD's right considering the time and effort PaD, Jonwil, you yourself (Marshall) and many others pondered to make it to 1.05 patch. It would be greater loss of time if the patch will be restarted back to one, considering that PaD is still around (though not so much active as before), and Jonwil too is doing his best to analyze each except.txt files. Smile PROJECTALPHA?

- Bobingabout - 27.05.2005

i did a lot of research for them Tongue anyway, moving all the new stuff to a new datasegmant makes sence. maybe that will help fix multi player games?

next week, i'll have almost the entire college to myself, so, i'll get the machines out, and play network games, and get you as many except.txt files as you want.

still not tested the extra countries taunts yet...

- jonwil - 27.05.2005

Moving all the stuff from the WW datasegment to our own definatly makes sense.
Lets do that (not that I can do it on my own Smile

- pd - 27.05.2005

Send me your current exe (plus IDA DB if possible) and I send the new one back to you. Smile
1KB should be enough.
I think moving the stuff can solve many problems (at least I hope so).

I don't have YR currently so testing isn't possible. Though I think this is a job which can be done without testing.

- Bobingabout - 27.05.2005

i managed to get an except file from 1 of the PCs today, it was a strange 1, only the first game excepted, the rest of the ies never produced the except file.

- Speeder - 28.05.2005

Oh, one thing about the new countries taunts - I think that there should be a tag controlling it in rulesmd so they are disabled or not. If new taunts aren't present in YR direct and playing as new country, you will push one of the FX buttons, you will encounter an IE...

- Bobingabout - 01.06.2005

did you try it?

- Speeder - 01.06.2005

Yes

- Bobingabout - 01.06.2005

before, nothing happened... sooo...

I'm sure i pressed f10 as CDA though on a network game last week, and nothing happened... but then every game with the patch on crashed... maybe it was 1 of the 1.04c games when i pressed it...