Renegade Projects Network Forums
Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: Inject the Battlefield (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Forum: Ares General Discussion (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> (/showthread.php?tid=16)

- pd - 13.04.2005

I would agree to that thoughts if programmed C++, VB or something.

But I'm writing MACHINE CODE, DIRECTLY into the exe, which doesn't depend on Window's API or something, but on the processor.
So it will work on any x86 processor type, which includes all the Intel and AMD ones.
And the PE EXE file format is the same on WinXP as on Win98.

RE: Patching extra functionality into &lt;gamemd.exe&gt; - FS-21 - 13.04.2005

Bobingabout Wrote:yes, it seems the patch doesn't run on windows 98/me, but the game doesn't like running on 2000/xp... best way to run it is with compatibility mode on windows XP. but PD is going to have to look into this ASAP...

:huh: this should be your case ... in "my case" is that never I used compatibility modes in WinXP, WinXP without SP with SP1 or with SP2 on my last 2 computers (P3 at 800MHz & AthlonXP) & always I installed Tiberian Sun/TS:FireStorm, RA2, RA2:YR & I played "perfect" without Errors in the original game, because I haven't modified my mod to use the PD patch but I ran the Game with the PD patch without mods only to test the Random Maps feature & I hadn't errors to play).

Why I read in other sites people that must use the compatibility mode to play these C&C games & other people not need to use this WinXP feature to play with older games? :o

Like PD said before my post, "it will work on any x86 processor type, which includes all the Intel and AMD ones".

Could be done these errors by another things (what things? I don't know... a mix of incompatibilities of CPU/Graphic card/drivers with the operative system) & not only by the Windows version (this is offtopic but I should install RA2:YR this weekend in Linux with Wine or Cedega only to do an experiment of these IEs in a different O.S. Tongue )

- Bobingabout - 14.04.2005

firstly, i don't use compatibility mode and it works fine...

and you say it will work on any x86 processor?
try running it on a 486 with linux installed then...

- FS-21 - 14.04.2005

Well... Carmageddon 1 (MS-DOS & Windows version) worked for me in a 486DX2 66MHz & the game required a 166MHz... (no comments about speed... because looks like my old turtle Tongue)

About the quote that I used, I haven't readed correctly that was an theory, not your case, sorry :blink:

- Marshall - 14.04.2005

Okay, I just fully formatted my entire hard drive, installed Windows ME, drivers, RA2/YR only.

YR unmodded works okay.

YR unmodded with latest rock patch installed: The Internal Error described above occurs (battlefield is black, credits spinup reaches about 3000 before IE message appears)

Restoring the original 1.001 gamemd.exe - YR unmodded works okay.

Ergo, there is something in the patch that causes the error.

Is there anyone running Windows 98/ME that can run the patch without problems?

- pd - 14.04.2005

Linux WOULD work if the game wouldn't make use of Windows' APIs.
The code I'm writing does so, but only the APIs that were already present in the original game, so it's impossible that I used one that works on XP only.

@Marshall:
As said, the BA7000 points to my patch.
It's exactly 4000h below my data segment.
The question is: why is it called? (and why isn't it called for me?)

I got currently no chanche to test it Win98, the stuff on my HDs is worth too much and TOO much to burn on CDs (150GB).

- Marshall - 14.04.2005

You're running Win XP and you have valuable stuff on your HD with no backups?
You're playing with fire boy!
I know two people's hard drives that have been messed up by Win XP (once was me), my Win ME was buggered by a virus, and once I had a cheap HD that exploded.
I urge you to make the time to get some backups for your own sake.

Regarding the patch, until such times as you have the means to solve the current problem, some of us will be unable to test or utilize any of the patch's features Unhappy

- DCoder - 14.04.2005

I must say this XP bashing is getting annoying. I have been using it for nearly three years now and have never had any problems. My coding environment is much more stable here.

Edit: If you suspect WinAPI is the culprit, you could use API Spy ( http://www.matcode.com ) to locate the problem.

- Renegade - 14.04.2005

XP is a pile of shit crafted in hell. Period.
Sure, a good user can fix it to a working OS, but seeing it as an 98SE-user, it's like..."What the FUCK did you do to this OS?!"
Personalized Menus.
No DOS.
Activation crap.
Neutered Home Edition.
Blinky-Blinky-Looky-Looky.
Windows Media Player 2004 Spyware DRM Edition.
...and dozens of more issues.

- CannisRabidus - 14.04.2005

I'll admit no DOS bothers me, but otherwise I'm in agreement with DCoder.

- Marshall - 14.04.2005

Regardless of what any of us think of XP, the patch does not appear to work on 98SE/ME. Given that YR is made to work on 98/ME, so should the patch.

- Bobingabout - 14.04.2005

true... 2 things i hate about XP.. no DOS, just about half the things i do are DOS based...

and no PCX support, does my head in. windows 98SE had far better PCX suport, even though you could only load them, not save em.

- pd - 14.04.2005

PCX support can be solved quickly by getting IrfanView, no DOS by getting DOS emulators. They work perfectly, I agree to DCoder.

Anyway, I got an interesting thing MigEater mentioned:
Quote:The sight range isn?t working, whenever I start a new game I just get a screen full of shroud. Then a few seconds after I get an IE

That is exactly the same thing Marshall gets I suppose.
And the sight idea is really interesting.

Maybe the units are already there, but the sight is crashing because something's wrong with my values.
The only question which is left then is why many people don't get that error...

- Marshall - 14.04.2005

Westwood Wrote:VeteranSight=0.0? ? ? ? ; multiplier to sight !!!going past ten is a hard code Vegas crash!!!

Given that, when the problem occurs, it's as if the units have zero sight: maybe this is where the problem lies. It's possible that it is a bug in some pre-XP Windows system that Westwood couldn't avoid.
Hence, now that the patch breaks the sight limit, XP can handle it but 98/ME can't.

pd, how about removing your sight breakage and letting me (and at least one other 98/ME user) test it?

- Chronojam - 15.04.2005

If I remember right, going past 10 with anything having to do with sight crashes it.