Renegade Projects Network Forums
Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> - Printable Version

+- Renegade Projects Network Forums (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com)
+-- Forum: Inject the Battlefield (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Forum: Ares General Discussion (https://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Patching extra functionality into <gamemd.exe> (/showthread.php?tid=16)

- Bobingabout - 12.04.2005

i get that error on 1 of my maps when nobody starts in position 1. you not on a map where someone can start with something are you?

- Marshall - 13.04.2005

Nope. I tried it on two official 2-player maps where nobody starts with anything. I also tried a campaign and got the error.

RE: Patching extra functionality into &lt;gamemd.exe&gt; - CannisRabidus - 13.04.2005

PaD Wrote:And that looks like it occurs BEFORE the game starts? :blink:
That is more than weird.
The credits are counting up but the map is still unshrouded. So the map has loaded, the game has begun, the player exists, but there are no units yet. It's the units? The MCV?

- Bobingabout - 13.04.2005

i don't think PD has massed with the MCVs yet, he played with baseunit for a while, and that caused an instant IE, so he removed what he did... i think i should give the new patch a test spin...

EDIT: tried it twice, both games worked fine...

- Marshall - 13.04.2005

Okay, I just tried it on another computer and it works fine.
On my own computer, with the patch there are errors and without there are none.

There's obviously something up with my RA2 setup that the patch doesn't like - however YR works okay without the patch and with version 1.03 and lower.

Strange strange strange.

Whilst I am the only person so far with this error, chances are there will be others when the rock patch gets more widely released...
We at least need to find out what's the cause (admittedly that'll be difficult if only one of us has the problem).

EDIT:
I just clean installed RA2/YR. The problem persists.
I also tried installing the latest DirectX.

I'm running WinME. Any chance you can try the patch on an OS other than XP pd?

- Renegade - 13.04.2005

Read closer. I confirmed this error on the earlier version, so chances are it'd returned if I used the new one. I'm running 98SE...is your other machine an XP one?

- Marshall - 13.04.2005

The other machine I tried was my flat mate's which is indeed XP.

well, when the class on wednessday try link games, that'll test on windows 2k, i can try it on windows me, however, my windows 98SE machine apears to have blowen up AGAIN... i need to get some files from it, so if i can turn it on, I'll test it for you.

windows 95 and NT? does anyone know who still uses them?

- Guest - 13.04.2005

Ive got that error on Windows ME also.

- Hybrid - 13.04.2005

I tried the patch unmodded and received no error when set in Windows 98 / Windows ME compatibility mod on WinXP with SP2. Yet if i have it normal, just normal XP the game refuses to even start up, just crashes as soon as i insert the disk and click play. Odd :mellow:

yes, it seems the patch doesn't run on windows 98/me, but the game doesn't like running on 2000/xp... best way to run it is with compatibility mode on windows XP. but PD is going to have to look into this ASAP...

- Sektor 13 - 13.04.2005

Wink Hey

I just remembered one thing, pritty annoying in all C&C series, when you build refinery, harvester (ore miner) always appears in the back of the building, so sometimes harvester get stuck.. can it be done to spawn in the front of the refinery??

- pd - 13.04.2005

Amazing how off-topic you can go with only one single post...

Anyway,
I got absolutely no idea what's up. The worst problem is that I have no chance to get the error, which makes it almost impossible to look for mistakes (which possibly aren't even there).

- Renegade - 13.04.2005

That's what you get for programming on XP...it's the code's way of saying "you don't expect me to run after this treatment, are you?"

- Marshall - 13.04.2005

Indeed. Unfortunately, pd, XP just isn't a suitable OS to be doing programming on.
Is there no way you can get access to another OS? How about borrowing a friend's OS CD and making your system dual boot?

The only other option is to go back to the beginning and have us all test thoroughly one new feature at a time - this might be a good idea anyway, in order to ensure that there are no problems.